Asst Director of Accounting
Asst Director of Accounting
Job no: 498872
Department: General Accounting
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Administration, Finance, Budget, Accounting
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Asst Director of Accounting
Salary/Grade: $85,000 - $100,000/annually
Responsible for all accounting functions for all operating, plant funds, restricted funds, loans, and agency funds. Supervise General Accounting Staff, including Tax and Compliance Analyst and Investment Accountant. Manage year-end close process, annual financial audit process with external auditors, and the internal and external financials report development. Participate in LEAN projects on a continual basis and develop cost and forecasting analysis. Manage the University general ledger and cart of accounts.
1. Supervise all accounting tasks for unrestricted, auxiliary, designated, plant, loan, agency, debt and restricted funds. Provide customer service in understanding and maintaining these accounts. Examples of significant activities supervised are:
a. Reconcile or ensure reconciliation have occurred for all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
b. Set up new accounts, create and post journal entries, and monitor accounting activity for the funds listed above.
c. Upload, process, and balance interdepartmental charges.
d. Process and reconcile data interfaces from bursar, AP and payroll and ensure that the accounting system remains in balance.
e. Using the fixed asset module, process fixed asset transactions and reconcile capitalization entries. Record depreciation and debt.
f. Prepare and distribute internal and external financial reports.
2. Supervise the Tax and Compliance Coordinator. Review and approve the CAFR, HEI, IPEDS, and other financial regulatory reporting. Review the University's unrelated business income and preparation of the IRS 990, 990-T forms and other tax related reporting.
3. Supervise accounting staff including but not limited to training, assign and direct work, review work, coach and/or counsel, and conduct performance evaluations.
4. Manage and participate in the annual year-end closing process for all the financial offices including the Banner general ledger year-end closing process, the year-end calendar, reconciliations, scoresheets, journal entry processing, budget carryforward processing, and financial workpaper preparation. Manage year-end roll forward process for general ledger accounts and encumbrances.
5. Work with external auditors to manage the annual university audit process. Prepare audit schedules and respond to audit requests for additional information and explanations. Pursue and resolve any audit findings and management comments. Prepare management discussion and analysis, financial statements, and footnotes for Annual Report. Prepare or review financial schedules and exhibits for the annual internal financial report. Coordinate production of the Annual Report and internal financial report. Manage completion of the annual NCAA agreed-upon procedures report and audit review.
6. Assure compliance with GAAP and GASB standards. Review and implement new GASB pronouncements.
7. Lead or participate in LEAN projects in order to increase processing efficiency and reduce costs. Continually challenge the current operations and identify new process to review.
8. Develop Business Intelligence reports, forecasts and analysis to respond to internal information requests, external surveys, and other reporting requests.
9. Act as chart of accounts manager for general ledger. Define account attributes, control account number sequences and significant digits, establish authorization levels for creating and deleting accounts, and manage documentation of account purposes and restrictions.
10. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Accounting Officer
The position requires 5 or more years of experience as a Staff Accountant, Auditor, or Accounting Supervisor/Manager and a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, and or general business.
Proficiency with PC-based software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
CPA or Master's degree are preferred. Experience with financial planning and forecasting is preferred. Previous accounting management experience in a higher education environment and fund accounting is preferred. Prefer 3 or more years of supervisory experience, knowledge of GAAP and GASB, and year-end audit and financial statement preparation.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Resume, cover letter, and references requested
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Benefits Eligible: Yes
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 16 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time