Director of Finance and Accounting Services
While they offer a hybrid work schedule, Union Institute & University is excited about their recent move into a brand-new facility at 500 Baldwin with outdoor balconies, a Wellness Room and free parking are included. In addition to competitive compensation, Union’s strong benefits package begins on the first day of employment. Some of the benefits include generous PTO and personal illness benefit, and a significant reduction in tuition for you, your spouse and dependents.
Founded in 1964 against the backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement, Union Institute & University (Union; https://myunion.edu/) was founded to engage, enlighten and empower highly motivated adults to realize their professional and personal ambitions. A pioneer in adult learning, non-profit Union perfected concepts now common in higher education such as the hybrid blend of online and traditional classroom instruction, interdisciplinary study and student-centered education with socially relevant and applicable learning outcomes. It is Ohio’s only Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI).
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Union offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees on-line and has Academic Centers in Cincinnati, California and Florida. Union is especially renowned for its well-established programs in criminal justice, psychology, social work, and health care administration. In 2018, The Union Institute for Social Justice was formalized https://myunion.edu/socialjustice.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance & Chief Financial Officer, the Director pf Finance and Accounting Services will be the right-hand person to the CFO. The Director will lead a team of five (5) full-time professionals responsible for all financial, accounting, and risk management activities on behalf of Union.
The Director of Finance and Accounting Services will spend about 65% of the time on staff leadership and all operational accounting and finance functions and spend approximately 25% of the time on financial reporting.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execute financial strategy ($15 million annual operating budget) and oversee all operational accounting and finance functions
- Oversee accounts payable functions including review weekly batch processing
- Monitor cash flow management; oversee cash management activities, forecasts and banking relationships; prepare analysis and projections, as needed
- Post all general ledger activities – create/maintain GL Accounts in the system; complete closing checklist for accurate recording of all assets, liabilities, revenues and expenditures
- Review monthly reconciliations and prepare monthly financial statements
- Monitor financial and compliance reporting and oversee proof of revenue
- Primary contact for annual financial audits and related annual tax filings
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- MBA (or related graduate degree) or CPA, a plus
- Ten years + progressive financial management experience, preferably in a higher education or not-for-profit setting; multi-state accounting experience expected
- Understanding and application of GAAP and internal control practices;
- Experience with general ledger and financial components of enterprise financial systems (while knowledge of Jenzabar would be a plus, it is not required)
- Prior experience with federal Title IV financial aid regulations preferred