Director of Building Design and Construction
Join our team as the Director of Building Design & Construction! At Great Parks, our team members work together to preserve and protect natural resources and to provide outdoor recreation and education in order to enhance the quality of life for present and future generations.
Be a part of an inclusive organization that enriches the region by inspiring nature-based experiences, celebrating cultural heritage and building strong and healthy communities through our dedicated staff, volunteers, and friends.
This position will direct and provide leadership to the Planning department with respect to building design and construction, including master planning, design, project management, and regional initiatives. Will maintain responsibility for planning, developing, administering, and achieving departmental goals and objectives. Will also be providing leadership and coordination of work in accordance with Great Parks’ master plans, strategic plan, policies, and requirements.
The successful candidate will perform the following.
- Builds organizational awareness among staff and develops programming that involves everyone.
- Supports open, transparent communication among team members.
- Provides leadership and development opportunities to the Building Design and Construction team.
- Manages in accordance with delegated authority, and Great Parks’ policies, applicable laws, and regulations.
- Maintains responsibility for the timely and effective accomplishment of the delegated mission of the department, and for accomplishing the strategic goals in accordance with Great Parks’ comprehensive master plan, park & facility master plan, strategic plan and initiatives.
- Responsible for recruiting talent and monitoring performance of the Building Design and Construction team. Makes major personnel decisions in consultation with supervisor, Human Resources staff, and others.
- Delegates job responsibilities, maintains effective organizational communications, and consistently follows sound management principles and practices.
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates performance of assigned staff.
- Establishes priorities, performance requirements, and professional development targets that are connected to the agency’s goals, objectives and initiatives.
- Regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development. Takes disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies with oversight from Human Resources.
- Provides recommendations related to hiring, compensation and other rewards to recognize performance.
- Manages multiple new and renovation project phases, including planning, programming, design, bidding, construction, & closeout, for capital construction and planning of architecture and building system projects.
- Oversees architectural design review, cost estimating, construction documents, bidding, construction management, and field inspections.
- Coordinates with other divisions in the planning of architecture facilities.
- Manages the capital improvement process for facility improvements including priorities, budget, design, construction scheduling and assigning project management responsibilities to department staff.
- Implements facility objectives of the Comprehensive Master Plan and Park & Facility Master Plans in coordination with senior management to support the mission, vision and strategic plans of the park district as it relates to architectural planning and capital improvement projects.
- Conducts research on architectural standards, sustainability best practices, recreation trends, facilities operated by other park agencies, and other facility issues.
- Prepares reports, drawings, maps, presentations, videos and other visuals for the Building Design & Construction team, Planning Department, Planning Division, other divisions and Board as needed.
- Oversees construction in accordance with park district design standards, industry best practice, and State of Ohio requirements, including prevailing wages.
- Monitors design, bidding, and construction schedule; reconciles project estimates and expenditures against project budget during design and construction.
- Processes project documents such as contracts, pay applications, and change orders according to internal workflow, approval limits, and State of Ohio guidelines.
- Facilitates selection and negotiates contracts with consultant teams per processes dictated by the State of Ohio Revised Code.
- Maintains responsibility for management and coordination of contractors and consultants to ensure the highest quality of capital improvements and appropriate expenditure of funds. Coordinates and approves services performed by professional architectural, engineering, surveying, and other related consulting firms.
- Recommends expenditures on capital projects based upon approved budget. Develops budget requests based upon project cost estimates. Reviews invoices for accuracy and recommends payment.
- Coordinates with the grant writer with preparing grant proposals and reports.
- Coordinates work with park district’s ADA Transition Plan. Works to eliminate physical barriers within the park district’s facilities as described in the park district’s accessibility audit.
- Develops and implements revenue and expenditure budgets for Planning Department as related to buildings and building systems and maintains responsibility for monitoring and controlling expenditures within approved budget. Approves purchasing requests.
- Makes formal presentations and speaks before groups concerning park facility planning and development.
- Performs job duties in accordance with Great Parks of Hamilton County’s policies, procedures, and performance expectations.
- Maintains confidentiality of confidential and sensitive information.
- Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and punctual attendance and works outside of normal schedule as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate required knowledge, skills, and abilities. An example of an acceptable qualification is:
A bachelor’s Degree in architecture and a minimum of five years of experience in Architecture, Planning, or Construction Management that evidences a thorough knowledge of facility planning, design and project management.
Demonstrated knowledge of facility planning and design principles, building design and construction methods and procedures in architecture, civil engineering, landscape architecture, geographic information systems (GIS) project and construction management; budget management; basic surveying, land use and zoning practices; planning and construction research methods; federal, state, county and municipal rules and regulations as they relate to construction and development; leadership and management principles.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to decisively solve problems.
Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
An Innovative and creative approach to design; project management; interpreting boundary and land surveys; interpreting construction plans and specifications.
Demonstrated ability of job specific and industry standard software; writing reports and grants; written and verbal communication; collecting and analyzing planning data; brainstorming techniques and conceptual design development.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
LICENSE OF CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License that meets GPHC current carrier guidelines.
Licensed Architect in State of Ohio.
The typical salary range for this position will be $90,5698.40 - $106,683.20 depending on experience.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance; paid vacation, holidays and sick time; enrollment in Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and free or discounted use of many Great Parks of Hamilton County recreational activities.
Great Parks is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or any other classification protected under applicable law.