Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Cutter/Draper
TCT’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre
- TCT On Tour
- TCT Academy
- We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Cutter/Draper will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming.
Along with the Costume Shop Manager/Resident Costume Designer, the Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Cutter/Draper oversees our stock and our costume shop. The Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Cutter/Draper is responsible for/in charge of patterning, cutting, and draping for each Mainstage Production and assisting on Tour Productions. This person is also the lead stitcher/cutter/draper for the TCT costume shop and assists with costume crafts on a show by show basis.
The Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Cutter/Draper of The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati (TCT) reports directly to the Costume Shop Manager/Resident Costume Designer.
The Assistant Costume Shop Manager’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Resident Costume Designer or Guest Designer to bring their designs to life
- Oversee draping, patterning and cutting of costume pieces for both Mainstage and touring productions
- Attend dress parade, costumed rehearsals, tech and dress rehearsals
- Measure and fit all cast members for Mainstage and Tour productions
- Alter costumes as necessary
- Assist in fulfilling rehearsal requests and supplying rehearsal costume pieces.
- Assist with maintaining the organization of the costume shop and vault
- Work with Stage Management to coordinate and schedule fittings, dress parades, etc.
- Work with Stage Management and costume crew to explain and develop mechanics of intricate/quick costume changes, when applicable
- Load-in and load-out of all costumes and racks at the Taft Theatre
- Clean, re-stock and repair costumes, costume props, and accessories with the help of the Costume Assistant
- Coordinate with the Costume Shop Manager/Resident Costume Designer to keep the costume shop supplied with necessary tools and maintaining and cleaning the tools/equipment
- Collaborate with Costume Shop Manager/Resident Costume Designer to establish build schedules for Mainstage and Tour Shows
- Maintain a safe, healthy and clean work environment in all costume spaces
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal and Minimum Qualifications:
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task, and work graciously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and build relationship with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Ability to build, nurture, and foster relationships with other staff members and guest designer/directors
- Collaborate and communicate with fellow staff members
- Experience in foam work, wigs and make-up a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary range: $40,000-$55,000.
- Health, vision and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period.
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service.
- Generous PTO based on years of service.
- Generous paid holiday schedule.
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references to Director of Production, Dani.Lobello@tctcincinnati.com.
Subject Line: Assistant Costume Shop Manager 2023