The Cincinnati Art Museum has an opening for a full-time Curatorial Assistant working directly with the museum’s Curator of Fashion Arts and Textiles. The Curatorial Assistant is responsible for the research, documentation, care, exhibition, and preservation of works of art in the permanent collection, various responsibilities related to the implementation of temporary exhibitions, and organizational tasks as assigned.
Working under the direction of the Curator of Fashion Arts and Textiles, duties include but are not limited to:
- Research and document objects in the curatorial collections.
- Assist in the development and installation of temporary exhibitions and the permanent collections.
- Attend curatorial and exhibition planning meetings as assigned.
- Assist with photography of permanent collection objects.
- Work with textile conservator as needed.
- Suggest creative and innovative methods for display and other departmental needs
- Assist with the mounting of permanent collection objects; basic sewing skills required.
- Assist in the acquisition of objects for the permanent collections, including research and cataloging duties as assigned.
- Assist in writing grants to support research activities.
- Potentially write for publications both CAM and outside professional journals.
- Potentially give lectures to museum audiences and other appropriate venues.
- Educate docents and volunteers with regards to the division’s collections and temporary exhibitions in coordination with curator.
- Meet with visiting scholars to review permanent collections when appropriate.
- Attend special events related to curatorial division activities as assigned.
- Supervise departmental interns and volunteers as assigned.
- Visit public and private collections as necessary.
- Attend meetings, lectures, and exhibitions as assigned.
- Maintain organization of departmental files.
- B.A. in fashion history or related field; museum experience is preferred.
- Basic sewing skills required.
- A proven ability to work collaboratively and successfully with others to achieve institutional objectives.
- Ability to manage departmental budget and order supplies.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and have a good working knowledge of database, word processing, and other relevant computer programs.
- Ability to write business correspondence, lectures, and articles; ability to effectively present information; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, collectors, dealers, personnel, visitors, and the general public.
Apply for Curatorial Assistant using the link below:
The Cincinnati Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.