Intern, History in the Making Costume Shoppe
Department: Museum Engagement
Term: Fall, 2021
FLSA Status: Nonexempt/ hourly
Compensation: $11.00 per hour
Position Title: History in the Making Intern
Hours: 8 – 20 hours weekly (Preference towards Tuesdays or Wednesdays and one weekend day)
Location: Union Terminal, 1301 Western Ave, Cincinnati, Ohio 45203
Reports to: Evan Lewis
Manager, Creative Resources
This position will focus on inventorying, organizing, storing, sorting, labeling and preparing our History in the Making Classroom for programming in the summer of 2022. In addition to organizing materials and supplies, there will be opportunity to create learning modules based on our equipment that include safety procedures (when applicable), storage guidelines, creative uses and lesson plans that integrate the tools and materials into usable programs in the classroom. This position will also spend time as part of the greater Museum Experience team and gain experience interacting with guests on the museum floor.
Additionally, this position will interact with our Costume Shop, which contains hundreds of examples of historical replica and vintage clothing. This will mainly be a maintenance/organization factor of the internship, with potential opportunities to mend/create historical costume clothing, if experience level allows.
Position Responsibilities: History in the Making
- Inventorying and organizing materials and supplies, for History in the Making classroom
- Identifying material, supply, and storage needs
- Assist in cleaning and readying the environment for programming in Summer, 2022
- Developing self-guided or facilitated experiences for guests ages 12+ that focus on art and making concepts, historical and contemporary
- Create plans for large scale equipment (Glow Forge, screen printing developers, spinning wheels, etc.) that include information for safe and creative use
- Actively participate in facilitating art and science-based activities during open hours, assist staff with programming and be a welcoming presence in the gallery
- Assist with Evening Events when necessary
Position Responsibilities: Costume Shop
- Assist in organization, curation, and maintenance of Costume Collection
- Attend events, trainings or meetings as needed
- Be willing to dress in period clothing to assist with special events/museum programming
- Work/ communicate with community partners and with various departments within CMC and Mercury Museum Services (a subsidiary of CMC)
- Currently enrolled in an Education Program, Art, or Science field
- Strong organizational skills, ability to create order in an unorganized space
- Team player and customer service focused
- Strong verbal communication skills and interest in sharing information in a hands-on way
- Maintain discipline to complete task independently
- Must be comfortable working in a guest-facing fast-paced environment
- Enthusiasm for informal education
- A working knowledge of historical contemporary style by era, or a strong willingness to obtain said knowledge
- Ability to work evening events if notified and scheduled in advance
- Ability to move large equipment, boxes, materials, and supplies.
- Ability to lift things on to shelves
- Ability to create inventory lists on Excel or other computer software
- Ability to use Word and Power Point software on a computer (computer will be provided)
- Time spent in Museums, including exhibition environment with special lighting and other effects.
- Office setting
- Storage spaces and large closets that need to be organized.
genetic information, military status, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law
This opportunity is possible due to the generous support of CITI Foundation through their Pathways to Progress initiative.
You may apply at https://www.cincymuseum.org/jobs or send resume to HR@cincymuseum.org