Coordinator, Museum Engagement
Reports to: Director, Museum Engagement
Department: Museum Engagement
FLSA Status: FT, Non-exempt, includes regular weekend shifts
Cincinnati Museum Center’s Museum Engagement department is the front-facing team across the gallery spaces in the Cincinnati History Museum, Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and Science, the Children's Museum, and Featured Exhibitions. This team ensures guests have a safe, enriching, and educational experience through informal guest engagement, program delivery, and facilitating activities and hands-on experiences.
The Coordinator serves as the point person for the daily floor operations of the Museum Engagement department and leads as an example by actively working in the gallery spaces to deliver high levels of guest engagement.
- Act as Team Lead multiple days each week, leading floor operations across all gallery experiences and programming spaces, trouble-shooting challenges, and acting as the main point of contact for floor staff, volunteers, internal and external partners, and guests
- Perform daily opening and closing procedures to ready gallery spaces for staff, guests, and private events
- Edit daily schedule to reflect the needs of the floor operations teams with a focus on efficiently and effectively providing a high level of guest service and engagement
- Welcome and orient guests and groups and actively promote daily programming, upcoming events, additional exhibitions and experiences, and the sale of memberships
- Responds and resolves guest questions and concerns quickly and tactfully.
- Ensure the safety of guests, staff, and volunteers by being visible in gallery spaces
- Communicate material and supplies needs to designated employee, as necessary
- Routinely works on the floor of the exhibition spaces, interpreting exhibit content, objects and specimens, and utilizing programming in an engaging and credible way
- Facilitate training opportunities for floor staff and volunteers to meet ongoing and new guest service and engagement opportunities
- Assist with onboarding new staff and volunteers by sharing expert knowledge and experience
- Other duties as assigned
- High school graduate or equivalent requirement
- Experience training and managing a team
- 1+ years of experience presenting programs, teaching, or performing preferred.
- Positive attitude that uplifts and encourages others
- Flexible and adaptable to change, strong team player
- Ability to remain calm and react in a balanced manner in times of stress.
- Manage time to meet organizational, departmental, and personal deadlines
- Able to effectively communicate with staff and guests of all ages and abilities in an understandable and pleasant manner; able to speak to large and small groups of people from a variety of racial, cultural, ethnic, gender, and generational backgrounds with sensitivity and active listening
- Able to quickly learn, apply and teach new knowledge
- Passion for working with guests; able to coach guests to explore their questions and make their own discoveries; comfort with operational details and ensuring safety through procedures.
- Willing to be trained in safety protocols, especially tool and chemical safety. Willing to use lab equipment, tools, machinery, art materials, and be comfortable facilitating programs in a lab and maker space setting and teaching staff and volunteers these skills.
- Comfort with live animals, willing to be trained on animal handling and other relevant safety protocols.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule inclusive of weekends, early mornings and evenings. Work time is primarily spent in a public environment within the exhibition galleries with special lighting, audio-visual element, and other effects. Must be able to work in a fast-paced, child-centric environment. Other work may be oriented throughout Cincinnati Museum Center’s main campus in Cincinnati’s West End, including any of the three museums, featured exhibitions, the Grand Rotunda, Reakirt Auditorium, Newsreel Theatre, the Dining Rooms, education service areas, outside on Union Terminal grounds, and other areas as assigned. Travel to other facilities such as the Geier Research & Collections Building, the Eulett Center or other off-site locations is a possibility. May require use of personal vehicle for official CMC business. Incumbent will be exposed to 7+ hours of standing, with occasional bending, stooping, lifting, and pushing of carts. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds.
Please apply at or send resume to HR@cincymuseum.org