Student Services Advocate
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 500449
Department: One Stop Services
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Enrollment Services
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Student Services Advocate
Salary/Grade: $38000 - $45,000
Hours Per Week: 40
Provides front-line services and outreach to students with the highest levels of customer service and accuracy. Utilizes problem-solving skills & knowledge of policies & procedures related to registration, billing, and student financial assistance. This position will serve as one of the contacts for military-affiliated students seeking assistance surrounding registration, billing, and student financial assistance.
This position may be eligible to work remotely for 20 days a year.
- Provides excellent customer service and problem resolution in a high-volume environment. Resolves inquiries by phone, in person, and by email communication with students, families, staff, and other parties. Counsels parents and students in the areas of financial aid, billing, registration and provides a referral to other offices, as needed.
- Serves as a liaison to campus offices to advocate on behalf of students who require our assistance.
- Delivers presentations to students, parents, University staff, and to the external community on topics related to billing, financial aid, and registration. Provides support for University outreach to targeted populations.
- Processes registration forms and academic records such as Independent Study forms, schedule changes, enrollment verification requests, and transcripts. Requires in-depth knowledge of divisional and departmental policies, withdrawals, and re-enrollment processes.
- Performs independent special projects, as needed, such as representing on University committees, reviewing and submitting updates for the website, maintenance of data in our ticketing system. Completes other duties, as assigned.
- Serves as a contact to students and the university community in the areas of residency and the use of veteran's benefits. Keeps current with federal, state, and University policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associate's Degree with at least one year of experience working full- or part-time in a customer-related field, or two years of experience working full-time in a customer-related field.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Must be able to attend functions off-campus and work evening and weekend hours as needed; some travel may be required.
- Student financial aid or registration or student accounts/billing experience in a higher education setting.
- Knowledge of and experience with Miami University, including institutional and unit policies, procedures and processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to serve customers graciously, quickly and accurately.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 31 May 2022 Eastern Daylight Time