Acquisition Specialist-Steely Library
Northern Kentucky University (NKU) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty, and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence. Our vision is that NKU will be nationally recognized for being a student-ready, regionally engaged university that empowers diverse learners for economic and social mobility. We will do this while promoting a culture of excellence, acting with integrity, fostering a community of belonging, working with creativity and innovation, and maintaining a climate of collegiality. In your role, you will be expected to ensure that students who interact with you have a high-quality experience that supports the vision of the institution.Purpose of Position
The Acquisitions Specialist facilitates all collections purchasing, assists with setting up and managing our approval plan for materials and our Textbook Affordability Program and facilitates access to research materials.Primary Responsibilities
- Reviews requests for library materials in a timely manner and performs pre-order research and verification of bibliographic data in electronic sources such as local catalog, OCLC, GOBI approval site, and publishers’ sites. Identifies vendors and confirms availability and price of materials.
- Orders materials from appropriate vendors and records the orders in WorldShare Management’s acquisitions and metadata modules.
- Assists in setting up and administering an approval plan. This would include adding the holdings to WMS, creating POs for the individual titles, and tracking expenditures.
- Monitors status of open orders and communicates with faculty, staff, and vendors to clarify the status of requests, resolve acquisitions and processing problems; and investigate and resolve payment discrepancies.
- Completes copy cataloging of new resources to ensure findability in the discovery layer/catalog and coordinates process for outsourcing original cataloging, when needed.
- Supervises student worker (s) in processing physical materials.
- Runs reports related to outstanding orders, requestors’ questions, fund accounting, vendor statistics, and other acquisitions functions as needed and requested by the Head of Collections and Discovery Services Department or the Associate Dean of Collections.
- Withdraws physical materials from the catalog and maintains accurate records.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years of related work experience
- Excellent customer service
- Experience using the staff side of WorldShare Management Services
- Experience with bibliographic searching
- Microsoft Office experience
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Minimum Education Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Education Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Experience 2 years