Director of Institutional Advancement
Mount St. Joseph University is seeking a dynamic and driven leader to manage an ambitious development plan, strengthen alumni and donor relationships, expand the mid-level and major giving donor base, and make an impact as a leader on the Institutional Advancement team. The future Director of Engagement and Advancement Communications (Director of EAC) will have strategic experience and a creative approach to compelling print and digital communications in alignment with the university and Institutional Advancement’s strategic priorities.
Reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Director of EAC will manage donor and alumni engagement programs to increase donor and alumni engagement for targeted audiences. The Director of EAC will plan and execute alumni, donor, affinity groups programming and events. Additionally, the Director of EAC will lead and manage print and digital marketing initiatives for Institutional Advancement and Alumni Relations. The Director will manage the Alumni Relations, Philanthropy Stewardship, and collaborate with Events teams. The Director will build relationships that focus on engagement, foster pride in the University, and encourage donors to invest in the mission of the Mount.
- Collaboratively designs, implements, and oversees a comprehensive annual fundraising program to build a culture of philanthropy and secure significant financial resources from alumni and mid-level donors.
- Oversees all major alumni efforts and programs; coordinates and supports Alumni team during specific Alumni Relations programs including Homecoming, Royal Mountees, etc; plans Alumni Relations professional networking events in selected areas; provides support for individual alumni events as needed.
- Supports the Vice Presidents for Institutional Advancement in evaluating annual giving programs, messaging, and events, while developing goals and objectives for the following fiscal year.
- Partners with the Vice President and Board of Trustees to identify new individuals and corporate funding opportunities to reach fundraising goals.
- Attends and participates in a variety of fundraising, stewardship, community-building, and campus events throughout the year in order to stay informed, connected, and updated on university activities and priorities.
- Articulates a compelling case for support to all constituents; responsible for collaborating on overall priorities with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
Partners with Advancement Services to oversee lists for print and e-mail solicitation campaigns for Annual Giving and campus partners;
- Work with Alumni Relations and Annual Giving Manager to plan Day of Giving;
- Work with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement to strategically plan and execute the communication outreach to all Alumni and donors;
- Collaborates with the Director of Advancement Services to keep accurate data.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Institutional Advancement; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
Vice President for Institutional Advancement and Institutional Advancement staff including the Alumni Relations team; University President and President’s Administrative Assistant; Board of Trustee members; alumni; donors; and other members of the University community.
Direct supervision of 2-4 IA staff.
Works under the general direction of VP of Institutional Advancement.
Bachelor’s degree required
Minimum of five to seven (5 – 7) years working in Alumni Relations, fundraising, marketing, student services experience, or related experience. Must have a background in fundraising. Strong computer skills and experience with email and digital marketing platforms and Excel; experience setting and implementing strategy, including establishing and meeting goals and priorities; technical proficiency with web development and learning new platforms’ user interfaces; demonstrated experience managing people and building team relationships. The ability to establish clear directions, set goals, objectives, and benchmarks.
Ideally, a basic understanding of Annual Fund and Planned Giving; experience using email marketing software and crowdfunding platforms; experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge or similar relationship development software; experience running successful crowdfunding campaigns or days of giving; knowledge of design and layout, databases, webpage editing, and video production.
- Exhibit a "donor/customer first" orientation in providing exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations
- Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and customer needs and expectations; anticipate and identify customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, appreciate and serve culturally diverse populations, special needs, and others
- Collaborate well with others; help ensure IA group collaboration, cohesion, and psychological safety
- Communicate proactively and respectfully to ensure deadlines are met and high quality of work
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive, and respectful rapport and working relationship with students, faculty, staff co-workers, and various campus and community constituencies maintaining an appropriate level of professionalism
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and organizational skills, a sense of humor, flexibility, and creativity
- Demonstrate strong written, telephone, and electronic communication skills and strengths
- Excellent copy-editing skills required; attention to detail is essential
- Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others
- Maintains a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights or omissions
- Ensures integrity of CRM database
- Takes immediate and independent action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem solving
- Accomplishes tasks with follow through to completion
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Knowledge of office bookkeeping/accounting and proven success in budget management.
- Ability to quickly learn, interpret, and apply a variety of policies and procedures.
- Computer skills in CRM/database management; Raiser's Edge experience preferred
Work Environment, Physical Demands:
Working some nights and evenings required; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with service interruptions; strict confidentiality; detailed work.
To apply, please upload the cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via Paycom.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer