Purpose: Responsible for assisting in the maintenance of the University grounds, vehicles, and facilities as well as other duties appropriate to position requirements.
- Assists with the maintenance and upkeep of the University grounds and facilities including maintenance and routine care of lawn and landscaping, tree/bush trimming and removal, leaf removal, removal/treatment of snow and ice, trash removal
- Assists with the maintenance of University vehicles
- Performs routine maintenance and repair of facilities
- Performs routine custodial tasks
- Performs other duties appropriate to position requirements as assigned by supervision
- Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the division; helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed
Primary Contacts: Buildings & Grounds supervisors and staff, students, University faculty, and staff
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Works under immediate supervision with work assignments reviewed at frequent intervals or at a pre-determined time
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: Minimum five years related experience; familiar with vehicles, tractor, lawnmower, trimmer, hedge trimmer, saws, and other equipment related to grounds and maintenance tasks. Demonstrated ability and commitment towards diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Specialized Training: Valid drivers license required
- Exhibit a "customer first" orientation in providing exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations
- Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and students' (or other customers) needs and expectations; anticipate and identify students' (or other customers) needs
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, appreciate and serve culturally diverse populations, special needs, and others
- Available to work 40 hours per week with seasonal shift change; available for emergency call
- Collaborate well with others and make Building & Grounds staff a cohesive group
- Communicate, cooperate and collaborate well with others to achieve common office, department, or University goals
- Willingly assists in various responsibilities as appropriate within the Buildings & Grounds area and Business/Finance Division as required during high service demand times
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive, and respectful rapport and working relationship with students, faculty and staff co-workers, and various campus and community constituencies maintaining an appropriate level of professionalism
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and organizational skills, a sense of humor, flexibility, and creativity
- Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others
Attention to Detail:
- Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights, or omissions
- Take immediate and independent action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem solving
- Demonstrate creativity and high energy
- Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion
- Must possess an aptitude for operations of grounds-related equipment
Work Environment, Physical Demands:
- Operation of grounds-related equipment; frequent physical effort involving handling or lifting; stooping or standing; frequent exposure to elements found in grounds care; exposure to uncomfortable temperatures; on call availability during periods of severe weather; ability to operate University vehicles with a valid drivers license.
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via Paycom.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer