Head Athletic Trainer
Purpose: The Head Athletic Trainer works under the supervision of the athletic director and supervises the care of student athletes competing in the University’s athletic program.
Duties: Directs the athletic training program for Intercollegiate Athletics and oversees the training room. Coordinates medical coverage for athletic events. Manages Athletic Trainers/Physical Therapists in the prevention, care, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Determines, with advice from doctors, when and at what level an athlete can return to participation in a sport. Directs departmental operations, including the development and implementation of department policies, processes and procedures.
- Provides/direct medical services to teams as assigned, and assists in the supervision of medical services for all student-athletes to include:
- Prevention of athletic injuries
- Recognition and evaluation of athletic injuries
- Acute care of athletic injuries
- Rehabilitation of athletic injuries
- Possible sports assignments: football, cross country, track & field, and softball; subject to change based on department needs.
- Assist in the organization and administration of athletic training to include:
- Participate in pre-participation physical examinations for all athletes
- Maintaining and supervising the maintenance of accurate medical records for all athletes
- Coverage of athletic team practices and events by the athletic training staff
- Informing the coaching staff of the physical and emotional status of their athletes as it pertains to their participation in that particular sport.
- Travel with athletic teams as needed.
- Education and advising of athletes regarding personal health.
- Daily communication with team physicians
Duties not program-specific:
- Supports the total athletic program
- Demonstrates integrity and upholds the values and mission of the University.
- Committee assignments and other duties appropriate to skills and training as assigned by supervisors
- Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the division; helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
Primary Contacts: Department Director, Associate Director, coaching staff, Athletic Training staff, and other Health Science faculty, team physicians
Supervision Exercised: Athletic trainers, Athletes, Athletic Training Students Works closely with the Wellness Center. Works with the Director of Athletics on policies and procedures. May also receive direction from the Team Medical Director, and Team Physician(s).
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master's degree preferred & Board of Certification (BOC) certified in Athletic Training and Ohio Licensed in Athletic Training
- Experience: Two to four years of college athletic training preferred.
- Specialized Training: Excellent verbal and written communications. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software. Proficient in the use of: Athletic Training supplies and equipment, therapeutic modalities, computer, and software. Valid driver’s license required. American Red Cross (ARC) Instructor Certifications in Responding to Emergencies and CPR for the Professional Rescuer is preferred, but not required.
Mount St. Joseph University offers a wide array of benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Tuition Remission for you and your family.
- Retirement contributions up to 7% of your salary.
- Excellent benefits including medical, employer HSA contributions, dental, vision, life, parental leave.
- Generous PTO.
- 16 paid holidays.
- Competitive salaries.
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic and inclusive educational environment.
- Professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via Paycom.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer