Department: Museum Engagement
Reports To: Manager, Museum Engagement
Location: Union Terminal, 1301 Western Ave Cincinnati OH 45203
Length of Appointment: 10 weeks, June 8- Aug 12
Time Commitment:10-20 hrs/week (hours are available 10am-5:30pm, Thursday – Monday)
Rate of Pay: $11/hour
KidSPACE is an exhibit in the Children’s Museum. KidSPACE is a place where Science, Play, Art, Creativity, and Exploration come to life through hands-on making, experimenting, and tinkering. As a space that focuses on STEAM education, we are looking for someone who is passionate about working with children, sparking curiosity, and facilitating playful and engaging experiences that involve making of all kinds. This may look like teaching visitors how to use a sewing machine, use a 3D printer, or build contraptions with recycled materials. Each day in KidSPACE is a new opportunity to learn and skill share with staff and visitors.
The KidSPACE intern will assist floor staff in running KidSPACE while also learning behind the scenes, informal education, and customer service skills.
Through this internship, KidSPACE interns will gain experience in museum interpretation, program presentation and evaluation. They will gain experience in educating a diverse population of varying age ranges and backgrounds. They will learn how to make information more accessible and fun. During this unique opportunity, interns will be able to share their own strengths, talents and interests with our guests.
- Currently enrolled in an Education, Art, Design, or Science History, education program or field (or has equivalent experience).
- Team player with excellent organization and communication skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Maintain discipline to complete task independently.
- Must possess strong communication and customer service skills to effectively present programming to diverse audiences, and to communicate with coworkers.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have skills in art, science, and STEAM that can be shared with staff and guests.
- Be able to bend, stoop, crawl, stand, or walk for periods of time and lift up 25 lbs.
- Free admission to museums
- Free admission to special exhibitions
- Free parking at the Cincinnati Museum Center
- Discounts at food and beverage locations
- Discounts in gift shops
- Discounts on tours, programs, and events
- May be eligible for course credit from your educational institution
Please apply at www.cincymuseum.org/jobs or send resume to HR@cincymuseum.org