Provost & Executive Vice President
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 500849
Department: Provost & VP for Acad Affairs
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Administration, Teaching, Other
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Provost & Executive Vice President
Hours Per Week: Full Time
Reporting directly to the President of Miami University, the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs is the chief academic officer. The provost is expected to be the academic and scholarly leader of the university, with ultimate responsibility for all academic programs, operations, and initiatives, and to manage a significant part of the academic budget. The provost has primary oversight of all academic operations of the university, including faculty promotion and tenure, and administrative structures of colleges, centers, and the regional campuses.
This individual will also lead and advocate for approximately 1,000 full-time instructional faculty and a staff of nearly 500 and oversee an academic budget of approximately $300M. The ideal candidate will bring substantial experience leading academic efforts in higher education. The next Provost and Executive Vice President will have an earned terminal degree and an outstanding record in education and research commensurate with the appointment to the rank of full professor with tenure. And additionally, a minimum of ten years’ leadership experience with a career progression that has prepared them for a position of this scope, complexity, and scale.
- A minimum of ten years’ substantial, successful leadership experience;
- An earned terminal degree and an outstanding record in education and research commensurate with the appointment to the rank of full professor with tenure;
- A career progression that has prepared them for a position of this scope, complexity, and scale.
- A commitment to inclusive excellence and ability to ensure a welcoming, nurturing, and equitable environment for a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students, and a track record of leadership in this arena;
- High integrity and superb judgment and an ability to exemplify fairness, empathy, and responsiveness;
- Credibility and trustworthiness, with a capacity to set high standards and empower others;
- Exceptional budgetary and financial management skills;
- Experience as a distinguished teacher-scholar;
- The ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with the many constituencies whose contributions are required for the success of the university, including but not limited to faculty, administrators, staff, students, Board members, alumni, donors, and community partners;
- The ability to set high standards for faculty and willingness to communicate those standards with exceptional clarity;
- Broad and transdisciplinary thinking, not only in leadership but also in past scholarship and teaching that demonstrates acumen for crossing boundaries;
- Creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit, and the ability to bring new ideas to fruition in a timely fashion;
- A proven ability to move new programs through a multitude of governance processes on campus and within state administration;
- An ability to lead a community with compassion and sensitivity through a time of significant growth and change;
- Experience in fundraising, preferably with experience in government grants and foundation, corporate, and philanthropic gifts.
Miami University is being assisted in the search by Storbeck Search. Please submit inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
R. Thomas Fitch, Managing Director
Amanda Bennett, Sr. Associate
Requested application materials include a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, and a list of five professional references.
For additional information, please see the full position specification here: https://diversifiedsearchgroup.com/search/miami-provost/ or contact Storbeck Search.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223. Labor Law Posters for Applicants: Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately. Although applications will be welcomed until the time that a Provost is selected, for best consideration, candidates should submit materials by October 10th, 2022 to the following address: MiamiEVPProvost@storbecksearch.com
While every effort will be made to preserve confidentiality until finalists are selected, the search is subject to the Ohio Public Records Act.
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 01 Sep 2022 Eastern Daylight Time