Senior Director, Philanthropy National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
Senior Director, Philanthropy
Senior Director, Philanthropy
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
Reports to: Vice President, Philanthropy
FLSA Status: FT/Exempt
The Senior Director, Philanthropy, is primarily responsible for planning and managing the overall annual giving process, specifically through donor cultivation and stewardship, annual fund campaigns and donor-related events. This position is accountable for leading the sustainable improvement of NURFC’s contributed revenue under the principal direction of the VP of Philanthropy. The institution raises approximately $3 million annually through strategic fundraising activities.
- Assist VP of Philanthropy in efforts to develop the annual budget and the annual fundraising plan.
- Develop and oversee the management and execution of all annual fund initiatives including but not limited to spring and fall appeals, direct solicitation of annual fund donors (calls, meetings, emails), and building relationships with annual fund donors to increase their engagement with NURFC.
- Coordinate opportunities for the President & COO and VP of Philanthropy to meet with potential donors.
- Develop and implement cultivation plans for donors and prospects to increase engagement with, and financial support of, NURFC.
- Identify stewardship and solicitation opportunities for new individual, foundation, and corporate prospects.
- Create and solicit sponsorships for exhibits, programs, and events.
- Support the Philanthropy Committee of the Board.
- Work in partnership with VP of Philanthropy to plan and coordinate special events, such as the International Freedom Conductors Awards Gala honoring prestigious social justice leaders.
- Establish and work within the event budget and scope.
- Develop social media giving campaigns.
- Enter donor touch points and update donor information in Raisers Edge database.
- Manage and support the professional growth of direct reports, including development interns.
- Collaborate with contractors, volunteers, auxiliary groups and partners to develop and implement fundraising plans.
- Other duties as requested or assigned by the VP of Philanthropy and/or President.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of four years of fundraising experience in a non-profit environment with a preference given to annual giving management and project/event management skills.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills with superior attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Must be team-oriented, self-directed and able to effectively and quickly shift between multiple priorities and projects.
- Proficiency in Raisers Edge (NXT) database preferred or knowledge of Donor Management database.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Occasional evenings and weekends may be required to assist with programs and events.
- High level of discretion for dealing with donor contributions.
We are an equal opportunity employer