Chief Financial Officer
At Cincinnati’s Ronald McDonald House, we create a community where everyone is welcome, valued and respected. Inclusiveness is a reflex for us, not an initiative. We embrace and celebrate the unique perspectives, backgrounds and ideas that each person brings to our mission so that, together, we can best care for families from around the world.
We have a culture of gratitude, fun, collaboration and compassion. Leading with our core values, the chief financial officer (CFO) must be exceptionally talented, curious, driven, detail-oriented and – most importantly – passionate about people and helping others succeed.
The CFO has primary responsibility for the planning, implementation, managing, and running of all the finance activities of the House, including business planning, budgeting, forecasting, and negotiations. The CFO is also primarily responsible for advancing the House’s technology vision by leading ongoing technology strategic plans with the third party managed services provider. The CFO serves as a key leadership team member and is an active participant in making strategic decisions for the organization.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Finance Manager, Finance Assistant
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field or equivalent work experience. CPA experience and/or MBA preferred.
- Five or more years of progressive experience in senior-level leadership in accounting or a related field; not-for-profit experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills as well as strategic and comprehensive analytic skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information related to the House’s operations, financial data, and personnel matters. Knowledge of state and federal laws and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) pertaining to non-profit accounting and finance.
- Strong computer skills (particularly Excel and accounting software).
- Solid IT knowledge and strategic IT experience as well as managing IT vendor relationship.
Financial Management; Continuous Improvement; Compassion; Business Acumen; Interpersonal/team effectiveness with staff, board and committees/task groups; Ethical Conduct; Leadership; Performance Management; Self-starter; Problem Solving/Analysis; Strategic Thinking; Technical Capacity
- Develop and maintain thorough and accurate budgets and financial reporting
- Develop and maintain financial and IT controls with the highest level of detail and integrity
- Lead a high-functioning finance team by engaging employees and maximizing their potential to attract and retain top talent
- Identify opportunities for and design and implement process improvement
- Lead with our core values
- Provide leadership, direction, and management of the finance team.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the CEO and members of the House’s leadership team.
- Manage the processes for financial forecasting and budgets.
- Oversee the preparation of all financial reporting.
- Advise on long-term business and financial planning.
- Establish and develop relationships with leadership team and external partners and stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with banking and investment management staffs
- Review all formal finance and IT related procedures.
- Serve as the primary contact for the Finance Committee and Audit Committee.
- Oversee the preparation of information and reports as needed for RMHC Global, Better Business Bureau, Combined Federal Campaign and others.
- Retain top talent through managing the employee life cycle through interviewing, training, coaching, and performance reviews while working in cooperation with the Director of Human Resources.
- Work as a team member with all staff at Ronald McDonald House, treating fellow staff members with respect and sensitivity to the requirements of their jobs.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for continued professional development.
- Execute other responsibilities as requested by the CEO.
Assist in formulating the company's future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans
Develop short, intermediate, and long range financial strategies
Manage the capital request and operating budgeting annual processes
Develop performance measures and monitoring systems that support the company's strategic direction
Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team
Oversee the company's transaction processing systems
Implement operational best practices
Oversee the issuance of financial information to management, board of directors, and other external stakeholders
Understand and mitigate key elements of the company's risk profile
Develop and monitor reliable internal control systems
Maintain appropriate insurance coverage
Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors, RMHC Global, and government agencies
Report risk issues to the audit committee of the board of directors
Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
Oversee the Investment of excess operating and endowment funds
Set objectives and long-term IT strategies
Select and implement suitable technology to streamline internal operations and help optimize strategic benefits
Oversee third party IT managed services
Plan the implementation of new systems and provide guidance to staff
Approve purchases of technological equipment and software
Direct and organize IT-related projects
Analyze the costs, value and risks of IT to advise management and suggest actions
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with benefits.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.