The Director of Payroll is responsible for the timely and accurate processing of all the payroll and related tax functions at the University, while ensuring compliance with external regulations, internal controls and internal policies and procedures. The position reports to the Controller and supervises an overall department with 2 to 3 people.
- Must have at least 10 years of payroll experience
- Must have a bachelor's degree
- Must have at least 5 years of prior experience leading a payroll department
- Must have high attention to detail skills but balanced appropriately to address risk while ensuring deadlines are met
- Must possess the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Must have excellent customer service skills, a collaborative problem solver and have patience working in a rewarding and unique non-corporate fast-paced environment
- Must be well organized, timely, reliable, and extremely confidential
- Must be a champion of technology and process improvement
- Must be experienced working in a paperless environment
- Must have excellent written, verbal, and electronic communication skills
- Must be highly proficient in ERP and ancillary systems and related interfaces including prior experience working directly with IT and outside software providers. Prior experience implementing a payroll system is a plus.
- Must have strong excel skills and ability to work with large amounts of data. Prior report writing experience is preferred
Directing and managing the payroll functions and staff to provide accurate and timely processing of employee wage payments and excellent customer service including:
- Supervise, hire, evaluate, and train staff
- Organize work within the department to ensure timely and accurate completion with the appropriate level of review
- Ensure new pay rates, new jobs, job changes, various withholding deductions, IRS annual limits, etc. are completed in conjunction with other departments including Human Resources
- Responsible for all payroll tax reporting and payment on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and yearly basis including overseeing relationship and work completed by third party vendor
- Supervise payment of payroll withholding payments (child support, garnishments, retirement, etc.)
- File various tax, unemployment and workers compensation reports as required or needed
- Review, keep up to date and communicate on relevant tax and employment law changes and updates
- Provide payroll information and answer questions as needed for 990 and 990-T reporting, external auditors and other special requests or projects
- Responsible for recommending and implementing changes, implementing technology or controls to improve departmental efficiency and performance, and departmental goal setting
- Serves in conjunction with HR as data custodian for Banner HR (ERP system). This includes
- Participate as SME for/with other departments whose projects interface with payroll
- Implement new Banner processes or functionality within Banner HR
- Responsible for coordinating and testing Banner (ERP system) software patches and upgrades for the Banner HR system
- Review vendor announcements of patches to determine whether they are applicable or necessary for Payroll or Position Control use
- Maintain and authorize Banner HR security classes
- Responsible for ensuring risk mitigation by requiring the payroll team to stay up-to-date on all payroll procedure documentation (checklists, policies, procedures, file specifications, workflows, etc.)
- Payroll Certification preferred
To ensure consideration, qualified/interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website by August 15, 2022. Candidates are asked to include with their cover letter a brief statement on how they might support/contribute to Xavier’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide vaccination status upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Tax advantaged accounts including health savings account, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care account.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.