Financial Assistance Counselor
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
All employees and students must be fully vaccinated by November 22, 2021. Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 499490
Department: Student Financial Assistance
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Enrollment Services
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Financial Assistance Counselor
Hours Per Week: 40
This professional staff member counsels students and parents about financial aid programs, application procedures, and eligibility, and assists with problem resolution; serves as a resource and a liaison to Miami's One-Stop staff and management; uses technical knowledge of federal and state student aid programs to ensure compliance and accuracy; determines and verifies student eligibility for financial assistance; and assists with outreach activities. This Position is a full-time, temporary position located in Oxford, Ohio, with the opportunity for a permanent placement.
- Counsel students/parents on eligibility for federal, state, university, and private aid programs. Assist with developing strategies for financing college, including consideration of debt management. Serves as a resource to One Stop. (40%)
- Communicates clearly, accurately, and in a timely manner with clients, their families, other office staff, and university departments regarding individual students, their aid, and assistance needed to resolve student problems.(20%)
- Works tactfully and effectively to resolve problems for individual applicants in a timely manner, prioritizing tasks to minimize the possibility of negative impact on student recruitment and retention.(20%)
- Assist with processing of scholarship awards. Provide customer service responses to students, parents, and staff regarding scholarship eligibility and status.(5%)
- Use technical knowledge regarding financial aid programs and associated legislation and need-analysis theory and computations to review student application information to determine financial aid eligibility.(5%)
- Maintain familiarity with federal/state aid programs in order to maintain standards, define new system activity, and assist in advising staff, students, parents, and other constituencies as deemed appropriate.(5%)
- Assist with outreach activities. (5%)
- An Associate’s Degree or at least one year of experience.
- Must have the ability to access professional Federal Aid systems, be able to work some evenings and weekends, and have a valid driver's license.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least one year of experience.
- Knowledge of student financial aid programs and computer systems is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have the ability to think critically and perform complex tasks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work cooperatively with co-workers are required.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 05 Nov 2021 Eastern Daylight Time