Food and Nutrition Services- Cook I Production Associate
Job Overview: Responsible for accurately and efficiently preparing, cooking, portioning and presenting a variety of hot and/or cold food items for patient meal service, cafeteria and/or catering/special events. Responsible for proper receiving and storage of food and supplies, including distribution to nursing unit kitchenettes, physician lounges, and other identified locations.
The Cook I Production Associate may perform the following duties:
- Prepares and cooks to order foods for patient meal service, cafeteria and/or catering/special events. May prepare and serve food directly to customer per verbal instructions from patron, including demonstration cooking. Follows recipes and plating guidelines for all items served. Portions food items into appropriate serving containers utilizing proper portion sizes. Garnishes according to recipes and/or established garnishing guidelines.
- Demonstrates competency in the safe operation of a variety of cooking equipment including ranges, fryers, ovens, grills, mixers, slicers, steamers, microwaves, toasters, etc. Reports equipment malfunctions to FANS Manager. Demonstrates safe and effective knife handling skills.
- Maintains clean and sanitary conditions in the food production area. Handles food properly during all phases of preparation and storage. Follows HACCP principles and complies with hospital and Health Department standards. Accurately records temperatures of foods in HACCP Logs as needed. Labels and dates all items according to departmental guidelines. Completes and documents daily, weekly and monthly cleaning assignments. Reports any safety concerns to a FANS Manager.
- Serves as a quality assurance control point for foods prepared for consumption. Takes an active role in evaluating the quality and presentation of prepared food items for all customers and patients. Tastes all prepared food before serving to patients, guests and retail customers and completes taste panel log.
- Verifies accuracy of shipments and inspects food/supplies for damages and defects. Reports discrepancies and problems to FANS Manager. Maintain cleanliness and orderliness of assigned storage areas. Places shipment items in proper storage places and rotates items based on “First In, First Out”.
- Distributes food and supplies in accordance with established nursing unit kitchenette par level and/or Food & Beverage Request order form. Discards any expired/outdated items and rotates stock based on “First In, First Out”.
- Complies with all food safety and physical safety protocols. Reports all food safety and or physical safety concerns to a FANS Manager.
- Attends meetings as required to enhance knowledge, job skills, and communication within the department. Follows acceptable practices related to: safety, sanitation, infection control, quality control, and customer relations.
- Performs other duties or responsibilities as assigned or needed. May assist in other areas as relief.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Experience: 1 year of related work experience. Health care experience preferred.
Required Skills & Knowledge: Related food service knowledge and skills. Customer service skills. Basic reading, writing, and math skills.
This position will be located in the Food and Nutrition Department at The Christ Hospital main campus, 2139 Auburn Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219.