Assistant Director of Data Analytics
Job no: 501469
Department: VP for Enrollment Management and Student Success
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Enrollment Services
Status: Full Time
Under the supervision of the Director/Assistant Vice President of Research and Analytics, the Assistant Director of Data Analytics works with a team of peers to support the functional offices of Enrollment Management and Student Success (EMSS) to supply coordinated, detailed analytics to decision-makers. These offices include the Center for Career Exploration & Success, Admission, Bursar, EMSS Operations, One Stop Services, Student Financial Assistance, University Registrar, and Student Success Center.
This position will work closely with the assigned business office(s) to learn and understand their business goals and requirements while also learning and understanding the various backend source data systems to help determine the proper data to monitor and interpret for the purpose of advancing a strategy for decision-making. The person who holds this position will extract, study to understand, and analyze the data to create repeatable deliverables based on the goals of the business office.
The position will be cross-trained to effectively provide analytics support for all EMSS business offices.
The Assistant Director of Data Analytics is expected to work collaboratively to learn new data sources and technologies toward producing high-quality analytics solutions for EMSS.
This position is eligible for remote work on a hybrid basis. Remote work is not a right, but a working arrangement that can be modified or revoked by Miami University at any time for any reason.
- Coordinate and manage data collection, storage, and reporting practices in support of the goals and outcomes of the assigned EMSS business office(s).
- Extract, manipulate, and combine data directly from primary and secondary sources using multiple technologies including ETL, SQL, Tableau Prep (or similar).
- Assist with the development of queries, actionable insights, and plans for capitalizing on data in support of EMSS business priorities and targeted populations. Monitor and visually report on the impact of targeted interventions and fulfilling ad hoc data requests.
- Develop reports from internal and external industry surveys to share actionable insights with staff and the larger university audience.
- Using standard analytic tools, such as Tableau Desktop, create modern, dynamic data visualizations to better articulate the desired analytical story.
- Understanding, validating, and testing data and reports received from other offices.
- Solving difficult data problems - creatively, fully, and effectively.
- Stay current with data analytic tools and methods and learn new software as needed.
- In collaboration with assigned EMSS office staff, review data collection practices, goals, and timing to create an accessible inventory and yearly calendar that can be modified as needed. Write and organize the documentation of assigned office data policies and procedures. Produce recurring deliverables on time and with full quality.
- Assist in the coordination of office-wide special events, programs, workshops, career fairs, and other events as needed. Represents the university at relevant events with external constituents, professional associations, and relevant career and workforce development initiatives. Successfully manages multiple projects with complex needs and various timelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or an Associate’s Degree with 2 years of relevant experience
- Strong background in technical or quantitative fields
- Experience with direct source data acquisition via SQL, ETL, etc.
- Experience with advanced analytic tools, such as Tableau, PowerBI, etc.
- Experience with higher education data and business cycles
- Experience in broad data analytic operations beyond reporting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skilled at creating a clear, accurate representation of data.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects to meet deadlines.
- Good written and oral communication skills
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 23 Feb 2023 Eastern Standard Time