Associate Director, Content
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job No: 500826
Department: Communications, Marketing & Events
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: PR, Media, Graphics, Communications
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Associate Director, Content
Hours Per Week: 40
The Division of University Advancement at Miami University is looking for new team members who want to make an impact on the lives and experiences of our students through philanthropy. Miami University is a public university founded in 1809 with over 200,000 alumni and 20,000 enrolled students. With its close proximity to the city of Cincinnati coupled with a nationally recognized excellence in undergraduate education, there is a significant opportunity to increase support from alumni, friends, and partners. Everyone on our team plays a part in achieving this goal.
The associate director, content is responsible for content strategy and content creation that fosters engaging brand experiences for all advancement audiences. This senior-level position leads message strategy and writing projects with emphases on alumni engagement, development and stewardship writing, donor publicity, event scripting, executive communications and content-driven platforms. This position reports to the assistant vice president, Marketing Communications and Technology.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at University Advancement
In alignment with Miami University’s statement on Diversity and Inclusion, University Advancement is committed to and fully embraces the philosophy and belief that a diverse community is among an institution's greatest strengths. We recognize that every Miamian has a unique story and unfortunately many are marked with challenges and pain based on one or more of their identities. We thus acknowledge the painful and difficult experiences at Miami past and present. We are committed to recognizing and celebrating all Miamians. We aspire to connect Miami with our diverse constituencies and create pathways for current and future Miamians of all backgrounds. We choose to honor Miami University’s holistic approach to and definition of diversity as our guide. This statement is only a part of Advancement’s efforts.
The Division of University Advancement is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all people feel safe, valued, and respected. To view our full statement including our specific commitments, please visit our website: miamialum.org/DEI_statement.
- May manage other writers, freelancers and interns for the Division of University Advancement, serving the areas of alumni relations, development, stewardship, and donor relations.
- Under direction of AVP, oversees the day-to-day use and strategy of University Advancement voice, tone and brand language;
- Under direction of AVP, researches, writes and edits features, proposals, concept documents, case statements, press releases and other long-form divisional writing projects;
- Provides day-to-day project oversight for all writing and editing projects as needed
- Serves as a key member on the Marketing Communications and Technology team within University Advancement, providing recommendations for content strategy and implementation;
- Conducts interviews, gathers information and performs background research as needed to carry out writing and project tasks;
- Creates and manages timelines to ensure that deadlines are met to deliver high-quality finished writing projects;
- Researches, interviews for, writes and edit features, proposals, press releases, video scripts and ad copy for divisional creative projects;
- Collaborates with senior administration, faculty and development staff on the crafting of proposals, concept documents and case statements promoting programs and initiatives university-wide
- Bachelor's degree or five years of experience editing and writing in a professional environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Degree in journalism, English, communications or related field.
- Knowledge of Wrike Project Management system;
- Experience in script writing for videos and speeches;
- Extensive editorial experience across multiple platforms;
- Extensive knowledge of Higher Education and Alumni/Donor audiences.
- Experience writing for higher education, non-profit, government and/or fundraising appeals required;
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Three (3) recent writing samples must be submitted with the application.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 25 Aug 2022 Eastern Daylight Time