Associate Director, Event Management
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 500156
Department: Communications, Marketing & Events
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: PR, Media, Graphics, Communications, Fund Raising, Development, Alumni
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Associate Director, Event Management
Hours Per Week: 40
The associate director, event management is responsible for all aspects of event strategy, planning and production for a portfolio of high profile, signature events identified as strategic priorities by the leadership of University Advancement. The associate director, event management works collaboratively as well as independently with divisional staff and external vendors, providing comprehensive planning and coordination of logistics for University Advancement special events, including a significant focus on virtual events. The position is also responsible for ensuring message cohesion across all aspects of the event experience, working collaboratively as part of the brand experience team within the Marketing Communications and Technology department. This position reports to the assistant vice president, Marketing Communications and Technology and will also interact with other leaders within the division and the university.
Miami University recognizes that technology enables us to find new ways of providing first class service and workplace flexibility. This position is approved for remote work on a hybrid basis, following a successful period of six (6) months of employment. Remote work is a working arrangement that can be modified or revoked by Miami University at any time for any reason.
In alignment with Miami University’s statement on Diversity and Inclusion, University Advancement is committed to and fully embraces the philosophy and belief that a diverse community is among an institution's greatest strengths. The Division of University Advancement is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all people feel safe, valued, and respected. To view our full statement including our specific commitments, please visit our website: miamialum.org/DEI_statement.
- This position is responsible for the planning of strategic events related to the Division of University Advancement. This role requires the effective planning, supervision and implementation of events that substantially impact the University from the standpoint of perception by alumni, friends, prospective and current donors, and current students. This position plans events both individually and in collaboration with peers across the division.
- Collaborate with alumni relations, development, stewardship, and university advancement marketing communications and technology staff to develop logistically sound and effective events that maximize alumni and donor engagement. This includes: developing goals, objectives, invite lists, creative event design, event programming, and post-event follow-up; coordinating event logistics; trouble-shooting and providing effective and timely solutions; providing project management oversight, on-site event support, and exceptional customer service.
- Serve as point person between division stakeholders and the MCT team to guide development of all communications touchpoints that impact the event experience.
- In collaboration with the AVP and/or cross functional partners, conduct research, make site visits and solicit resources for the selection and evaluation of event sites locally, regionally and nationally.
- Oversee the work of the administrative assistant in regards to event records processing and paperwork/invoice processing.
- Serve as liaison with offsite venue contacts on all event-related matters, including but not limited to: negotiation of contracts; coordination of event food and beverage, audio visual needs, photography, and room blocks; Ensuring appropriate décor (floral, linens, color schemes, etc.), customer service, and other quality standards to meet the expectations of the Division of University Advancement.
- In conjunction with the AVP, maintain a divisional structure and strategy for special events. This includes: following procedures to produce successful events; staff training; strategic planning; creative oversight; and project management related to advancement, alumni, stewardship and development events.
- Provide support as necessary to all university advancement events, consult or serve on divisional or university committees, and other duties as may be required for the successful engagement of alumni and donors.
- Bachelor's degree or five years of experience in non-profit or corporate event planning.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner ERP and iModules
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- High level of organizational skills, including the ability to simultaneously manage a large variety of tasks and set priorities.
- Demonstrated success in customer service and meeting deadlines.
- Willingness to travel and work weekends/evenings as needed.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 08 Apr 2022 Eastern Daylight Time