Associate Director of Community Engagement and Development
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 500412
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Associate Director of Community Engagement and Development
The Department of Entrepreneurship and the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship in the Farmer School of Business at Miami University invite applications for Associate Director of Community Engagement and Development.
The Department of Entrepreneurship, which has been ranked among the Top 10 public schools for undergraduate entrepreneurship studies (#7 overall among public universities in 2022) for fourteen consecutive years in The Princeton Review® and Entrepreneur Magazine annual ranking of the Top 50 Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Programs in the world, combines strong academic scholarship and rigorous theoretical and empirical research with immersive, practice-based learning opportunities for students. The John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship, winner of the NASDAQ Center of Entrepreneurial Excellence Award given annually by NASDAQ and the Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC) to the top entrepreneurship program and institute in the world, supports co-curricular programs in startup and venture capital, social entrepreneurship and impact investing, corporate innovation and technology commercialization, and creativity and entrepreneurial thinking. Distinguishing features of our innovative curricular and co-curricular programming include small class sizes and teacher-scholars with founder experience that deliver personalized learning, an interdisciplinary focus that engages students from every undergraduate major across campus, immersive, practice-based experiential learning opportunities in every class and in every co-curricular program, and integration with entrepreneurial ecosystem builders across the U.S. For more information about the Department of Entrepreneurship and the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship, please visit: https://miamioh.edu/fsb/academics/entrepreneurship/.
The Associate Director of Community Engagement and Development will have a range of responsibilities related to engagement of Miami alumni and startup and business ecosystem professionals and fundraising activities associated with the capital campaign for Department of Entrepreneurship and the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship.
Duties and responsibilities in this capacity include the following:
- assist with/coordinate capital campaign fundraising priorities for the Department of Entrepreneurship and the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship;
- assist with/coordinate fundraising prospect events and provide stewardship efforts with Department of Entrepreneurship and John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship donors;
- serve as the primary liaison between faculty and staff from the Department of Entrepreneurship and the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship and the Farmer School of Business Development Team;
- accompany Farmer School Development Officers on prospect meetings to share details of Department of Entrepreneurship and John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship curricular and co-curricular programs and fundraising priorities as needed;
- assist with/coordinate engagement activities and events for Miami University alumni-founders, alumni-funders, and other professionals from the business and startup ecosystem, among others; assist with/coordinate external communications with Miami University alumni-founders, alumni-funders, and other professionals from the business and startup ecosystem, among others;
- assist with/coordinate cultivation of host company organizations and/or guest speakers, judges, mentors for curricular and co-curricular programs;
- support the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship’s co-curricular entrepreneurship programs, including Startup Weekend, Social Innovation Weekend, World Creativity & Innovation Week/Day, the RedHawk Venture Pitch Competition, and the Business Model Road Test Competition, among others, as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of work experience in business or related field; an understanding of entrepreneurship (as demonstrated by coursework or professional experience); an understanding of executive level outreach and cultivation activities; excellent written and oral presentation skills; willingness to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends; ability to adapt within an entrepreneurial start-up environment; and willingness to travel.
- Position is not eligible for H-1B sponsorship.
- Consideration may be given to candidates with a M.B.A. or advanced degree in related field; experience with fundraising for universities and/or collegiate centers or institutes, non-profits and/or social enterprises; experience with external corporate relations and/or executive level outreach and cultivation activities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position and curriculum vitae . Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Tim R. Holcomb, Chair of the Department of Entrepreneurship and Director of the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
Screening of applications will begin June 21, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 07 Jun 2022 Eastern Daylight Time