Director of Development, Student Life and University Libraries
Job no: 501237
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Fund Raising, Development, Alumni
Status: Full Time
The Director of Development, Student Life and University Libraries will advance the mission of Miami University by planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment of alumni and friends. Particular emphasis will be given to strategies seeking philanthropic and volunteer support for the Division of Student Life and University Libraries.
Miami University launched the $1 billion For love. For honor. FOR THOSE WHO WILL. campaign in October 2022. The financial goal for this campaign reflects the magnitude of our aspirations. We believe that by strategically investing in four cornerstones—Scholarships, Business and Entrepreneurship, Clinical Health Sciences, and Digital Innovation and Technology—we can address critical global concerns and support the great challenges of our times. The positive impact this campaign will have on Miami University and our society will be felt for decades to come.
About the Division of Student Life: The Division of Student Life creates transformational opportunities, inclusive environments, and meaningful connections that maximize student growth, learning, and success. Student Life at Miami University serves the university community - students, parents, faculty, staff, and visitors - by supporting and engaging students in all aspects of their life outside the classroom. Guiding this critical work is a set of priorities that include community and belonging, diversity and inclusion, student transitions, academic support, health and wellness, and engagement and leadership.
About Miami University Libraries: Before Miami University had a campus, it had the start of a library. While the role of the Miami University Libraries has evolved throughout the university’s history, the Libraries have maintained a central presence in Miami’s student experience, spanning academic disciplines and generations of committed, hard-working students. Whether in pursuit of academic excellence in the classroom, a research passion that goes beyond the classroom, or simply a place of peace and reflection, Miami’s students still find a welcoming and supportive community in the Miami University Libraries.
About Miami University: Miami University is a public university founded in 1809 with over 200,000 alumni and 20,000 enrolled students. With its close proximity to the cities of Cincinnati and Dayton coupled with a nationally recognized excellence in undergraduate education, there is a significant opportunity to increase all measures of support from alumni, friends, and corporate and foundation partners.
In alignment with Miami University’s statement on Diversity and Inclusion, University Advancement is committed to and fully embraces the philosophy and belief that a diverse community is among an institution's greatest strengths. The Division of University Advancement is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all people feel safe, valued, and respected. To view our full statement including our specific commitments, please visit our website: miamialum.org/DEI_statement.
- In coordination with the unit leadership teams, develop and direct campaign initiatives within Student Life and University Libraries.
- Play an integral role in helping the Student Life and University Libraries achieve their comprehensive campaign goal.
- Create and execute fundraising plans that utilize best practices in major giving, including identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major prospects and donors (alumni, parents, and friends of Miami University) for gifts of $50 thousand and above.
- Prepare and present gift proposals to prospects with the input and assistance of faculty, administrators, and deans, as well as other constituent and central development officers. Proposals may involve establishing multi-year commitments, as well as helping to facilitate gifts of real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities and insurance.
- Staff the Miami University Library Advisory Board and the Miami University Parents Council to advance the philanthropic engagement of alumni and parents and support campaign-related fund-raising efforts.
- Encourage and coordinate the involvement of alumni and friends through campus visits and regional events.
- Serve as an exemplary University advocate in the community, with local leaders; alumni organizations; corporate and foundation partners; and other leaders and key constituents.
- Be active and involved in the advancement profession and faithfully represent Miami University and the Division of University Advancement.
- Perform other duties related to the mission of the Office of Development under the guidance of the Senior Associate Vice President for Development.
- Bachelor’s degree; minimum of three years experience in fundraising, business development and/or relationship management roles; demonstrated level of leadership.
- Advanced degree; fundraising experience in an educational environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding oral and written communications; excellent organization skills and attention to detail; and willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this position, please upload a cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 12 Jan 2023 Eastern Standard Time