Job No: 501270
Department: Payroll Services
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Administration, Human Resources, Finance, Budget, Accounting
Status: Full Time
The Payroll Analyst is responsible for analysis and evaluation of payroll processes, procedures, and functions, including compliance, reporting and tax analysis for domestic and foreign taxpayers. The position requires the ability to research tax regulations and statutes, to perform essential job functions and make recommendations to management for process improvement. The Payroll Analyst works closely with international students and employees at Miami University. This position may also process payroll as required.
- Review payroll policies and procedures and recommend modifications based upon changes to applicable law (taxes, garnishments, retirement etc.) technology changes, and use of LEAN principals to reduce waste.
- The position is responsible for assisting in executing controls over the processing of 150,000 payroll transactions to cover 10,000+ employees and students, including Miami University foreign national students and faculty population.
- Research complex payroll issues related to foreign nationals taxation, residency status, treaty analysis, and compliance and reporting. Ensure proper treatment of payroll and other business transactions and payments to foreign national employees, students and independent contractors.
- Other tax considerations include multi state tax reporting, foreign national scholarship taxation, fringe benefits, garnishments and child support deductions.
- Manage delivery of key payroll projects that include obtaining an understanding of the issue, collaboration with key team members about the issue, collaboration with key team members about the issues and development of recommendation.
- Provide service to all employees and other offices regarding concerns with payroll, research and trouble shoot inquiries. Maintain control of payroll data with strict confidentiality.
- Prepare, process and analyze federal, state and local tax settings, payments and various reports in a timely manner.
- Assist with year-end processes, account reconciliations, external and internal audit and other payment controls such as balancing payroll results to payroll tax returns and year end forms. Participate in preparation of year end W-2, 1042s forms and annual 1042 reporting.
- Bachelor in accounting, finance or other business-related field and 3+ years of experience in payroll administration or Associate Degree in relevant business field and 5+ years of experience in payroll administration or 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills, ability to analyze problems and apply sound decision making. Ability to grasp and develop new concepts, including new technology improvements.
- Knowledge of payroll related tax law and regulation and ability to operate in an environment with regulatory/compliance requirements.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with peers and teams at all levels of the organization to produce deliverables
- Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service skills and detail oriented.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft applications.
- CPP certification
- Previous payroll experience in higher education
- Previous experience with Banner, TCP, Windstar applications
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include resume, cover letter and three professional references.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 13 Jan 2023 Eastern Standard Time