Job No: 501487
Department: Arts & Science College
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Status: Full Time
The Pre-Law Advisor works with the Director to provide best-in-class pre-law advising and educational opportunities including law fairs, student/alumni engagement opportunities and career exploration events. The Advisor will teach classes and seminars, advise students and alumni interested in legal education, assist students with the law school application process, collaborate with other academic and administrative units of the university, and liaise with law school representatives and alumni. This is a full-time administrative staff position on a ten-month contract, with occasional evening or weekend activities.
Founded in 2007, the Sue J. Henry Center for Pre-Law Education at Miami University serves students and alumni interested in pursuing a career in law. This position plays an integral role in student success allowing exploration of careers in law and practical advising and preparation for law school and the legal profession.
The Pre-Law Advisor will:
- Provide outstanding advising for undergraduates and alumni across all majors and all years expressing an interest in legal education and the legal profession.
- Assist students and alumni with law school application process, and law school selection, including one-on-one advising and group presentation of educational sessions on pre-law topics.
- Teach legal career exploration classes as needed.
- Provide support and resources to the existing network of pre-law faculty advisors and other university constituencies including admissions and academic departments.
- Provide advising to increase access to legal education and be responsive to the widely varied needs of diverse student populations.
- Analyze and use student data to inform and improve programming.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Director.
- Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited law school, 3 years prior experience as a practicing attorney or demonstrated understanding of working in a law firm or legal setting.
Consideration may be given to candidates with:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and counseling skills.
- Demonstrated ability and enthusiasm for advising, teaching, and working with students.
- Demonstrated understanding of the law school admissions landscape; knowledge of pre-law student population.
- Pre-law or pre-professional advising or teaching experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively with diverse students and improving access to legal education.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, take initiative, build and maintain relationships with a wide range of personalities.
- Knowledge of LMS (Canvas) and EAB student advising software, ability to use and learn new technology proficiently and changes practices with changing technology.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit a cover letter, current resume, and a one-page diversity statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. Inquiries may be directed to the Director, Elizabeth Zimmerman at email@example.com.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
Screening of applications will begin on March 15, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 01 Mar 2023 Eastern Standard Time
This Organization Participates in E-Verify.