Assistant City Manager for Administration and Special Projects
Job Location: City Hall - Covington, KY
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Salary Range: $80,000.00 - $120,000.00 Salary/year
Travel Percentage: None
Job Shift: Day
Job Category: Government
The principal function of this position is to provide leadership and support to the City Manager in a variety of specialized complex management and policy analyses to support decision-making with a focus on special projects, special policy initiatives, intergovernmental affairs and labor relations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The following duties are normal for this position. These duties are not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Working as an advocate of the City’s positions on issues in the state legislature, regional governmental boards/associations, as well as developing relationships with other municipalities and other local government agencies.
- Briefing the City Manager, elected officials and senior management on complex municipal and community issues, pending legislation, and other administrative issues.
- Working in collaboration within and outside the organization to achieve City goals as a key member of the City Manager’s Executive Management Team.
- Performing complex, confidential and sensitive projects as assigned by the City Manager.
- Working with the City Manager to negotiate bargaining agreements with AFSCME, IAFF-Local 38 and the FOP and manage CBA grievance resolution.
- Working with the City Manager to oversee the Administration Department which includes Human Resources, IT, Communications, Analytics and Grant Writing.
- Coordinating any work related to policy changes within City government and overseeing policy analysis under the direction of the City Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to develop and direct a program for maintaining contact with legislative and political leaders to obtain results on the City’s legislative objectives.
- Advises the City Manager and Elected Officials on various intergovernmental relationships and policies.
- Resolves differences between City of Covington and other political jurisdictions through conferences and discussions.
- Thorough knowledge of government policies specifically to local government operations.
- Uses logic and reasoning to analyze, understand, and evaluate complex situations, policies and proposals, while exercising appropriate judgment in establishing priorities. Considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions, among other things.
- Ability to develop and maintain a cooperative and professional relationship with employees, citizens, community and private organizations, elected officials, boards and commissions. Handles all interactions with poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Skill in effective oral presentations in a concise and effective manner, work diplomatically amongst people with divergent opinions.
- Listen and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people and attend or conduct various meetings as required.
- General knowledge of office electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s Degree in Public or Business Administration, Government or related field and a minimum of 7 years related work experience with 3-5 years at a management level.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Driver’s License
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work in an office environment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Evening, weekend or hours adjustments may be required as job duties demand.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The City of Covington is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at (859) 292-2351.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.