COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 500908
Department: Regl Dean's Office - Hamilton Campus
Location: Hamilton, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: PR, Media, Graphics, Communications
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Graphic Designer
Salary/Grade: $45,000 - $52,000
Hours Per Week: 40
Reporting to the Regional Director of Marketing & Communications in partnership with the Creative Director the Graphic Designer within University Communications & Marketing (UCM), is responsible for creatively conceptualizing, designing, and producing visuals for a wide variety of print and electronic media, including but not limited to publications, brochures, advertisements, signs, banners, displays, emails, video, merchandise, environmental graphic, presentations, and web pages. In addition to a strong attention to detail, the candidate must be adept at juggling multiple assignments and producing quality work under tight deadlines.
This position is approved for remote hybrid work: three days on campus, two days remote. Remote work is work that can be done alone or via technology from a remote work site. Remote work is not a right, it is a working arrangement that can be modified or revoked by Miami University at any time for any reason, including convenience of the University.
- Design compelling, current, visually appealing print and digital marketing, promotion, and communication materials, following Miami University’s brand guidelines.
- Understand the “bigger picture” in a creative way, keeping in mind the mission and strategic goals of the department and University.
- Properly analyze, assess, and respond to client needs and deliver exceptional service as well as bold concepts with a keen eye for a simple, strong design.
- Align design, visuals, and messaging across all media, campaign efforts, and in alignment with Miami’s brand guidelines.
- Create visual concepts for campaigns, which may include digital ads, video assistance, and social media assets.
- Create digital mock-ups and presentations for campus partners.
- Create new design and photo concepts, maintaining a unified look across print, digital, and web pieces.
- Assist with photographer needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, fine arts, new media, visual arts, media design, computer graphics technology, communication design, or related field and at least three years of digital and print design experience; OR, associate degree in graphic design, fine arts, new media, visual arts, media design, computer graphics technology, communication design, or related field and at least five years of digital and print design experience.
- 3-6 years of digital and print design experience. Experience working in higher education or designing for student recruitment. Working knowledge of project management tools such as Wrike, Basecamp, etc.
- An understanding of printing techniques and options, paper sourcing, and file preparation and the ability to press check high-level printed material. Excellent ability to explain and support your thinking. Ability to take design direction and positively respond to feedback. Excellent communication skills both written and verbal. Strong asset management and organization skills for file management.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expert working knowledge of Adobe software (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, and Dreamweaver). Strong understanding of typographic, photography, composition, and illustration principles and foundations. Strong multitasking skills and the ability to carry projects from conception to completion within assigned timelines. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with constantly changing needs. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development that helps maintain knowledge about best practices and contemporary design. Ability to view work across media holistically and while applying brand consistency.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit a cover letter, resume, a portfolio demonstrating typography, composition, design, and/or illustration skills and a 1-page statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. Inquiries may be directed to Ruth Orth at email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin September 28, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 13 Sep 2022 Eastern Daylight Time