Donor Care Assistant (Phlebotomist)
The College of Medicine, Hoxworth Blood Center is recruiting a Donor Care Assistant (Phlebotomist) in the Donor Services Division. This position will support the University's mission and commitment to excellence and diversity in our students, faculty, staff, and all our activities.
Saving lives is no easy task, but at Hoxworth Blood Center, it's what we do every day and we're looking for positive, professional individuals to join our team and help advance our lifesaving mission. If you're a detail-oriented individual with experience in customer service, an interest in the field of medicine, and a passion for making a difference in the lives of others, then we invite you to apply for a position at Hoxworth Blood Center.
This position requires friendly, patient, reliable individuals that will be responsible for taking vital signs, performing venipuncture, and providing post-donation care for our community of volunteer blood donors. Experience in customer service and phlebotomy is preferred; excellent communication skills, a focus on quality, and the ability to work a flexible schedule are essential. This position offers opportunities for career advancement, mentorship, and continued education.
- Comply with standard operating policies and procedures, FDA regulations, AABB standards, and other regulatory agencies.
- Register, interview and screen prospective donors.
- Process blood donors; perform venipuncture, sample collection, therapeutic phlebotomies, autologous blood donations, automated collections, etc.
- Monitor and assess blood collection process; assist with immediate and/or emergency care in case of a donor adverse reaction.
- Process collections (i.e., verifying collections, packing units for transport, transporting collected units to the blood center).
- Assist and perform quality control functions, maintain and calibrate equipment.
- Assist in set up and dismantling of blood collections equipment and materials at all operations.
- Assist with cleanup of Mobile Operations and Neighborhood Donor Centers. Clean and maintain equipment. (e.g. Donor beds, working tables, blood tubing sealers, work stations, etc.)
- Drive blood center vehicle to and from Mobile Operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
·Must be at least 18 years of age; High school/GED diploma required with six months customer service experience. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Exposure to biohazardous products, chemicals and body fluids. May be exposed to unpleasant odors and adverse weather. May have to ambulate donor in cases of adverse reaction.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and be able to demonstrate a full range of motion for bending, stooping and lifting.
Shift: Varies Starting Pay Rate: $15.25 per hour Post Probationary Rate: $16.02 per hour
Candidacy for this role will be determined by:
- A COMPLETE APPLICATION: Your application MUST indicate material evidence of having the experience, skills, or education required for this position. Document all dates of employment, description of relevant duties, and full-time/part-time status. The complete application will be the sole criteria used by Human Resources to determine eligibility, which is based on the minimum qualifications listed above.
- SUBJECTS AND WEIGHTS:
- TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Eligibility scores and rank will be determined by grading the applicant’s related work history and education.
- EXAMINATION: Application/resume will be reviewed by Human Resources to determine eligibility, which will be based on the minimum qualifications listed above. All qualifying applicants will be notified of the date and time of the written examination via email. Applicants that pass the written examination will be notified regarding next steps. All applicants must show valid photo identification to take the exam.
Do you have active passing test scores on file with HR for this job title? If you would like to qualify for this position using those test scores, upload a letter to the “Additional Documents” section stating your name, address, test score, exam date, and expiration date.
Please note that the preferred method of communication is by email – make sure we have an email on file that you regularly check.
Are you eligible to receive Ex-Veteran Credit? To receive additional credit for military service you must have a DD214 stating you received an Honorable Discharge and must send us a copy. To receive credit do one of the following:
- Upload a copy of the DD214 to the Additional Documents section of your application (a photo from your phone is acceptable).
- Within 3 days of the posting close date:
- email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- fax a copy to 513-556-9652
- bring a copy to our office - University Hall, 51 Goodman Drive, Suite 340 (third floor).
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary for this role as described above.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
Job Seekers Welcome!
Follow this link to access Hoxworth job postings at the University of Cincinnati: