Director of Staff Development
Job no: 501494
Department: Human Resources
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Administration, Human Resources, Advising, Counseling, Career Services
Status: Full Time
Under general supervision of the Associate VP for Human Resources, lead the staff development function within the Department of Human Resources. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, planning, development, coordination, and communication of projects, programs, and events for the advancement of the overall goals and objectives of the staff development unit of the Department of Human Resources. Leads research, design, and communication initiatives regarding development and learning.
- Lead planning, design, and development of strategic Human Resource projects and staff development initiatives.
- Perform research and analysis as assigned; develop and prepare comprehensive communications and/or reports based on analysis and interpretation.
- Participate in strategic planning, and manage and coordinate the development, implementation, and completion of programs and special projects for Human Resources and staff development initiatives.
- Review and assessment of the staff development initiatives towards continuous improvement in the level of satisfaction associated with the education and training initiatives.
- Research, evaluate, and recommend appropriate staff development programs.
- Administer learning incentive program for hourly employees. Monitoring participation and cost of the program to the University. Problem- solve and recommend resolutions. Review program guidelines to align with other university learning programs.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of comprehensive databases for the initiatives of the staff development unit.
- Develop and manage project and event budgets as appropriate.
- Provide functional guidance/supervisory responsibilities for staff development unit classified staff and student employees as needed.
- Provide professional coaching for university staff to promote improved job performance.
- Support University Lean initiatives through program development and workshop facilitation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field and at least seven (7) years of progressive experience in human resources or related field;
- Associate's degree in Human Resources or related field and at least nine (9) years of progressive experience in human resources or related field;
- At least 11 years of progressive experience in human resources or related field.
- A high level of understanding of adult learning principles.
- Master's degree in Human Resources, Training, Public Administration, or related field.
- Human Resources certification.
- Eight (8) or more years of experience designing and delivering adult learning classes/ workshops/ webinars. Skill and experience designing on-line learning opportunities. Experience with Talent Management and Succession Planning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; time management skills; and skills in the use of database management, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, and at a minimum, intermediate Excel skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include resume, cover letter and three professional references.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 06 Mar 2023 Eastern Standard Time
This Organization Participates in E-Verify.