Application Software Developer I
Job no: 499287
Department: Enterprise Information Systems
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Information Technology
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Application Software Developer I
We are looking for someone who loves to design, develop and modify applications, is interested in new and interesting challenges, and desires for an engaging experience with our thriving university community for an Application Software Developer position. Is this you?
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
As a member of the Miami team, you will be a part of our efforts to pursue the best solutions for the University.
Our diverse team members actively design, develop, modify and support application software systems by:
- Gathering, documenting, and analyzing user needs and design requirements, developing application specifications, and determining system performance standards.
- Participating in diverse projects that analyze user needs and software requirements to determine the feasibility of design within time and cost constraints using agile techniques.
- Developing software systems including appropriate design and use of error handling, logging, and monitoring.
- Creating, executing, and automating multiple levels of test plans for software maintenance.
- Executing third-party software implementations and integrations with a focus on using APIs and code reuse.
- Working with our clients to learn and understand business processes and responsibilities and suggest solutions to problems.
- Identifying roadblocks and generating ideas for improvement; using agile methods like the Scrum framework and pair programming.
- As a member of our team, you will have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally through annual training.
Require a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field earned by date of hire. No relevant work experience is required. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, admitted for residence as an applicant under the 1986 immigration amnesty law, refugee asylee.
As the Application Software Developer I reporting to our Application Development Team Manager, we are looking for individuals with potential and some knowledge of and can work under instruction in:
- Developing applications that use single-sign-on and authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, Two-Factor)
- Developing applications in PHP (Laravel), Python, Node JS, or similar languages, using object-oriented programming.
- Using source code management systems (Git, SVN, etc.) and Continuous Integration / Continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Developing secure applications (SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.)
- Improving the quality of applications by using various testing options, which could include unit, feature, stress/load testing and documenting test plans, cases, and results.
- Developing against Higher Ed ERP systems (Ellucian’s Banner suite), Learning Management systems (Canvas), and web portal systems (LifeRay) or similar applications.
- Developing applications using relational database management systems and SQL.
- Working with Linux and Windows OS and a basic understanding of networking.
- Testing web applications for accessibility (ADA) compliance.
- Deploying software in a cloud-based infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP).
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 09 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time