Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Xavier University is seeking an Associate Vice President and Chief of Information Officer (AVP/CIO) that will serve as the principal technology leader for the university providing the vision and leadership for developing and implementing university-wide information technology strategies and initiatives in support of the University’s strategic and academic plans. The AVP/CIO is responsible for developing and maintaining a vision for future technology needs at Xavier University, and for recommending strategies, priorities, and projects that will best achieve the university’s strategic goals and objectives. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Financial Administration and Chief Business Officer and serves on the President’s Cabinet.
The AVP/CIO oversees the core IT function: technology infrastructure, technology support, application development, project management, and information security; this includes establishment of the system structure for the University’s data and implementing and maintaining state of the art security of those data, access systems, and infrastructure while ensuring operational excellence and support.
The incumbent must be a collaborative and transformative leader who energizes the IT department and works closely with the campus community and external partners. The AVP/CIO will be a strong listener who balances a variety of competing interests and needs into a coherent and coordinated technology and information management plan. The incumbent must have demonstrated strong agility in balancing the strategic and analytical aspects of this work with the process-oriented and detailed components of executing on strategy. The incumbent should exercise impeccable attention to detail and a dedication to excellence in all aspects of work.
This role requires a person of high professional standards who is committed to building trust and confidence with constituents, and who is able to serve as a trusted sounding board and project leader. It goes without saying that the AVP/CIO must continually deploy sound judgment and discretion, exercising a calm demeanor, regardless of the situation at hand.
- Provide strategic vision, leadership and planning for the development and implementation of university wide information technology initiatives
- Develop and maintain a vision for the future technology needs at Xavier University, and recommend strategies, priorities, and projects that align with and support the achievement of the university’s strategic goals and objectives
- Lead efforts to optimize access and usage of data across campus, including the development of capabilities related to analytics in support of key institutional goals
- Maintain an awareness of the Higher Education IT environment, including policy, technologies, digital advances, etc.
- Plan, lead and manage the operations of the Information Technologies Department
- Envision and plan new and enhanced resources and services
- Consult, advise, collaborate, and communicate with the campus community and external partners on a variety of issues related to the functions of Information Technology and the needs of the University
- Align IT priorities with priorities of user departments in support of process improvement initiatives and university goals and strategies
- Provide advice and recommendations as required concerning functional areas and services of IT
- Set and enact enterprise-wide IT strategy
- Mitigate cybersecurity risk and threats to university data and information systems
- Implement and manage an Information Security Program that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of university data and information systems
- Implement controls and processes that aid in the University’s preparedness, timely response, and rapid recovery in the event of a cyber-attack, natural disaster, or other emergency
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or as become evident
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master's degree preferred
- 15 + years of relevant IT management experience
- Higher Ed experience preferred
- Experience with organization wide data management and establishment of a business intelligence program
- Experience managing an information security program with industry standard controls
- Experience leading cloud- based initiatives
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Superior leadership skills
- Relationship building and team development skills
- Detailed understanding of data management and administration
- Thorough written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled at strategic planning and goal-setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with diverse constituents
- Uses good judgement, discretion and keeps a calm demeanor
Applications will be reviewed immediately and accepted until the position closes at the University’s discretion.
Xavier University is part of the 500-year-old Jesuit Catholic tradition of academic excellence in the liberal arts and is strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission. We strive for a climate of respect and inclusiveness that welcomes and supports members from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, is committed unreservedly to open and free inquiry, and deliberately seeks out multiple perspectives.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Tax-advantaged accounts including health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care accounts.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.