Network Engineer II
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 500485
Department: Business & Infrastructure Services
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Information Technology
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Network Engineer II
Hours Per Week: 40
The Network Engineer ll serves at a general level with limited supervision and is responsible for the implementation and support of converged data/voice/video network systems and integrated technical systems in support of Miami University’s academic, research and business missions.
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
- Assist in the planning and design of network systems in accordance with university standards.
- Assist in the installation and support of network systems, network applications, services and cabling.
- Assists in analyzing system issues and improving network systems and operations.
- Monitor and maintain equipment and adequate environmental conditions in telecommunication spaces.
- Maintain network documentation and databases for network systems, campus video distribution and structured cabling systems.
- Recommend upgrades based on technical trends or changes in structured cabling systems and/or network technologies.
- Serve as team member, active participant and contributor for IT initiatives and projects.
- Implement new installation and movement of remote locations throughout Miami University. This includes installation of structured cabling systems, network systems, and wan circuits.
- Assist in ensuring stable and reliable connectivity of access network devices.
- Ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of network systems in conjunction with necessary security programs and policies.
- Provide applicable desktop assistance for LAN connectivity issues.
- Assist in the design of campus video distribution and structured cabling systems according to university standards.
- Assists others translating business needs into technical solutions. Communicate technical information to team members and other institution-wide staff.
- Assist with service disruptions including classification, prioritization and initiation of action, documentation of facts, analysis of root cause, and implementation of remedies.
- Assists investigations to identify root cause, improvements and problem resolution with network systems and services using new processes or applications/tools.
- Carry a mobile phone and maintain availability for on-call rotation.
- Possess a valid driver's license and have the ability to drive service vehicles for onsite support.
- Resolve customer service requests including Help Desk tickets as applicable.
- Maintain accurate records via applicable Help Desk software systems.
- Maintain focus on the highest levels of service and customer satisfaction
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide quotations and specify materials for purchase on an ongoing basis.
- Provide technical support to other team members.
- May participate in hiring and supervising student employees.
- Actively engage in and help promote a service excellence approach throughout IT Services.
- Actively pursue trends in the industry and professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field earned by date of hire and 2+ years experience supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment.
- Associates degree in Computer Systems, Engineering or related field earned by date of hire and 4+ years supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment.
- 6+ years supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment.
- This position is available to persons who are currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time and indefinite basis. (Persons authorized to work on such a basis include US citizens, lawful permanent residents (“green card” holders), asylees, refugees, and temporary residents under IRCA.
- 2+ years demonstrated experience with structured cabling, video distribution systems, network systems support and problem resolution.
- 2+ years demonstrated experience in the administration of network systems in a complex premise network and/or cloud infrastructure.
- Good oral and written communication skills. Ability to learn and adapt to new environments.
- Ability to drive service vehicles for onsite support.
- 2+ years working knowledge of incident and change management procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
See Minimum Qualifications.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Miami University recognizes that technology enables us to find new ways of providing first-class service and workplace flexibility. This position is approved for remote work on a hybrid basis. Remote work is a working arrangement that can be modified or revoked by Miami University at any time for any reason.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 18 Jun 2022 Eastern Daylight Time