Network Engineer III
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
All employees and students must be fully vaccinated by November 22, 2021. Employees must have received at least the first dose of the vaccine before beginning on-campus employment, be fully vaccinated within 30 days of beginning employment and provide proof of vaccination, unless exempted as provided for in Miami University's COVID19 Vaccination Program and Policy. If you need additional information regarding exemptions, please contact AcademicPersonnel@miamioh.edu or Employment@miamioh.edu.
Job no: 499619
Department: Business & Infrastructure Services
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Information Technology
Status: Full Time
Job Title: Network Engineer III
Hours Per Week: 40
This position is responsible for providing direct network support, installation, management and remediation of network systems, structured cabling systems, and integrated technical systems in support of Miami University’s academic, research and business missions.
- Plan, design and engineer hardware and software-based network systems in accordance with university standards.
- Install, configure, manage, tune, monitor and troubleshoot on-site and cloud-based converged data/voice/video network systems, structured cabling systems, network applications and services
- Recommend upgrades based on technical trends or changes in network architecture and applications/systems that use the architecture.
- Serve as team member, active participant and contributor for IT initiatives and projects.
- Monitor and maintain equipment and adequate environmental conditions in telecommunication spaces.
- Create meaningful documentation on network systems, applications, systems, and standard operating procedures.
- Implement new installation and movement of remote locations throughout Miami University. This includes coordination of network systems, structured cabling system installation and wan circuits.
- Ensure stable and reliable connectivity of access, distribution and core network devices
- Ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of network systems in conjunction with necessary security programs and policies
- Provide applicable desktop assistance for end-user connectivity issues
- Analyze system issues, make improvements to network systems & operations
- Assist in the design of campus cabling systems according to university standards
- Act as internal consultant with the ability to translate business needs into technical solutions. Communicate technical information to team members and other institution-wide staff.
- May teach one credit bearing course per semester, with divisional approval.
- Carry a mobile phone and maintain availability for on-call rotation. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must have the ability to drive service vehicles.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field earned by date of hire and 4+ years experience supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment
- Associates degree in Computer Systems, Engineering or related field earned by date of hire and 6+ years supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment
- 8+ years supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment
This position is available to persons who are currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time and indefinite basis. (Persons authorized to work on such a basis include US citizens, lawful permanent residents (“green card” holders), asylees, refugees, and temporary residents under IRCA.
- 4+ years demonstrated experience with software-based networking, integration, network systems support, administration and problem resolution.
- 4+ years knowledge and experience maintaining network systems within a large complex Core Distribution Access network and/or cloud environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills. Ability to learn and adapt to new environments. Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to drive service vehicles for onsite support.
- Ability to effectively work with incident and change management procedures
- 4+ years demonstrated knowledge of related hardware and software including server applications, network security, infrastructure routing and protocols, network monitoring and management principles.
- Preferred Industry Certifications: Cisco Certified Network Associate, Cisco Certified Network Professional, or Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
See Minimum Qualifications
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and the name of three references
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.