Associate/Assistant General Counsel
Associate/Assistant General Counsel
Job no: 498886
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Status: Full Time
Miami University, a state-supported public university located in Oxford, Ohio, invites applications for the position of Associate/Assistant General Counsel. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the position requires an individual with a demonstrated ability to work directly and independently with clients, providing timely advice and counsel on a wide range of complex and novel topics that are frequently issues of the first impression. The successful candidate must be a person of unimpeachable integrity who possesses not only the ability to work in a fast-paced legal environment but also has an abundance of patience and good humor.
The Associate/Assistant General Counsel is expected to work collaboratively with all members of the University community – faculty, staff, students, and senior leadership -- in a respectful, efficient, and proactive manner. The Associate/Assistant General Counsel must be able to articulate the University’s position on a variety of matters to different interest groups in an effective, clear, and positive manner. This position will work closely with the Office of Equity and Equal Opportunity and Office of Community Standards on Title IX matters, Human Resources, and Academic Affairs.
Information about the Office of General Counsel may be found at http://www.units.muohio.edu/generalcounsel/.
• A Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
• Five or more years of progressive responsibility and experience practicing law in a firm, in-house, or University/College setting providing advice directly to clients.
• Ability to work carefully, collaboratively, creatively, ethically, and independently with a strong client-service perspective.
• Strong legal research abilities, advocacy, and problem-solving skills, particularly in a highly regulated and frequently changing legal environment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills- ability to design and provide workshops, seminars, and training sessions regarding legal issues in higher education.
• Licensed to practice law, admitted and in good standing with the Ohio Supreme Court.
• Legal experience with college/university issues.
• Experience representing public sector clients.
• Experience in assisting clients in policy formulation.
• Ability to act independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment.
• Ability to resolve issues through negotiation and persuasion.
• Ability to manage litigation and multiple, ongoing and complex matters.
• Advanced knowledge and experience interpreting and applying civil rights, equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and Title IX laws and regulations.
• Litigation experience.
The title and salary for this position will be commensurate with the experience and expertise of the successful applicant.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Completed applications should include a résumé; a letter of application, which should specifically address salary expectations; and a list of three references with contact information. References will only be contacted for finalists. Candidates may be asked to submit writing samples.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Benefits Eligible: Yes
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 24 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time