Required to work first shift Monday through Friday, also first shift, on a rotational basis, on weekends and holidays.
Xavier University is part of the 500-year-old Jesuit Catholic tradition of academic excellence in the liberal arts and is strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission. We strive for a climate of respect and inclusiveness that welcomes and supports members from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, is committed unreservedly to open and free inquiry, and deliberately seeks out multiple perspectives.
Xavier University’s Department of Physical Plant is seeking applications for a Maintenance Technician. The primary purpose of this position is to independently operate, repair and perform preventive maintenance on heating, ventilating, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and other mechanical systems and work on boilers, HVAC, electrical, plumbing and other mechanical equipment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment and follow all established safety practices and procedures.
- Work with various hand and power tools, meters and test equipment.
- Interpret drawings and blue prints, system descriptions and technical literature.
- Troubleshoot electrical, pneumatic and DDC control systems.
- Perform scheduled routine/preventive maintenance on mechanical equipment; complete work orders; perform chemical tests of chiller water, cooling tower water and boiler water and add chemicals as required monitoring to insure correct levels; test and repair fire alarm systems and associated hardware; keep records of work performed; and perform basic carpentry and lock repair.
- Perform related duties as directed by supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Formal trade school or apprenticeship program in general maintenance or a related field plus four years work experience, preferably in a college, hospital or commercial environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Universal Refrigeration certification;
- Ability to lift heavy loads (approximate maximum 75 pounds), and work from ladders, scaffolding and aerial lift devices.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and driving record deemed insurable under Xavier’s policies and an available personal vehicle.
To ensure consideration, qualified/interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website by January 27, 2022. Candidates are asked to include in their cover letter a brief statement on how they might support/contribute to Xavier’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.