Business Manager, Biological Sciences
The Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Cincinnati is looking for a dynamic individual for the engaging and collaborative position of Business Manager. Direct supervisory responsibilities of staff employees in the departmental office, in addition to management responsibilities for a wide range of projects/tasks associated with primary business operations, academic, or student services are expected. Activities include grant proposal and award management, non-grant fund management, purchasing expense allocation, student awards and scholarship implementation, visa application preparation, and endowment reporting. In addition, the Business Manager will provide business administration and accounting support for the Environmental Studies and Neuroscience programs and the UC Center for Field Studies. The Business Manager is the liaison between the department and the College Business and Grants Offices and will provide recommendation and advice to management or other groups on process related topics and conduct or carry out work procedures and activities in accordance with local, state, federal, and university regulations. The candidate will have a strong personal drive, creativity to solve unique problems, and share in the Department’s deep value of inclusion and diversity.
- Manage the financial, administrative, and operational activities of a large and diversified unit with a considerable income generation component.
- Coordinate budget preparation and may monitor grants and contracts.
- May determine purchasing priorities and make recommendations for major capital expenditures.
- Coordinate personnel functions for an operating unit.
- May provide direct and/or indirect supervision to exempt and non-exempt staff (i.e., hiring/firing, performance evaluations, disciplinary action, approve time off, etc.).
- Perform related duties based on departmental need. This job description can be changed at any time.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or related field.
- Seven (7) years of relevant work experience and/or other specialized training can be used in lieu of education requirement.
- Three (3) years of financial and administrative experience, including basic knowledge of business area, including standard financial principles and terminology, theories and practices.
- One (1) year of supervision.
- Experienced with Microsoft Office Suite.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
Office environment/no specific unusual physical or environmental demands.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.