Manager, Museum Engagement
Reports to: Director, Museum Engagement
Department: Museum Engagement
FLSA Status: FT/Exempt
Compensation: $35,568 per year
The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job. An asterisk (*) indicates that this is an essential function of the job as outlined in the American with Disabilities Act.
Cincinnati Museum Center’s Museum Engagement department is the front-facing team functioning across the gallery spaces in the Cincinnati History Museum, Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and Science, the Children's Museum, and Featured Exhibitions. This team ensures guests have a safe, enriching, and educational experience through informal guest engagement, program delivery, and facilitating activities and hands-on experiences.
The Manager serves as a role model and leader of the level of service, hospitality, and engagement we expect of our staff and volunteers. The Manager will be a strategic thinker, evaluating the continued development and implementation of department procedures and processes, with a focus on effectiveness and the guest experience. They will actively lead the department in providing educational, engaging, and unique experiences for guests of all ages.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead by example, promote visitor interaction and enhance visitors’ experience within exhibition galleries and experiences
- Supervise and provide support for Museum Engagement staff and volunteers while promoting a positive work environment and serving the mission of CMC
- Perform daily opening and closing procedures to ready gallery spaces for staff and visitors
- Interpret exhibit content, objects, and specimens, and utilizes programming in an engaging and credible way
- Responds to, addresses, and resolves customer service concerns quickly and tactfully
- Consistently demonstrate quality standards of safety, welcome, engagement, credibility and effectiveness
- Coordinate with internal departments and external partners on gallery-specific issues, events, and programs
- Develop and implement cleaning procedures for gallery spaces and props
- Manage supplies, inventory and budget for floor activities and operations
- Create staffing schedules to optimize service and labor management; monitor and adjust payroll system for accuracy*
- Manage hiring plan, to include effective interviewing, coordination with Human Resources, orientation, and maintaining all documentation*
- Oversee development and facilitation of training for staff and volunteers
- Research and execute professional development opportunities for staff and volunteers
- Attend off-site engagements to promote CMC as necessary
- Manage multiple budgets for exhibit staffing and programming and monitor monthly reports for accuracy
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required with particular focus on museum studies, education or similar field of study.
- Minimum three years of team management experience
- Minimum of two years’ experience in museum or similar informal education field.
Candidate should be self-motivated, team oriented, hospitable to guests and colleagues, and have strong attention for detail and follow through. Must possess excellent communication skills and ability to manage budgets, staff and project timelines effectively. Must have the ability to work with a diverse workforce and visitor ship. Must have working knowledge of MS Office software.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule inclusive of weekends, early mornings and evenings. Work time is split between a typical office environment and the public environment in the exhibition galleries with special lighting, audio-visual element, and other effects. Must be able to work in a fast-paced, child-centric environment. Other work may be oriented throughout Cincinnati Museum Center’s main campus in Cincinnati’s West End, including any of the three museums, featured exhibitions, the Grand Rotunda, Reakirt Auditorium, Newsreel Theatre, the Dining Rooms, education service areas, outside on Union Terminal grounds, and other areas as assigned. Travel to other facilities such as the Geier Research & Collections Building, the Eulett Center or other off-site locations is a possibility. May require use of personal vehicle for official CMC business. Incumbent will be exposed to intermittent sitting and standing, continuous keyboard usage, occasional bending, stooping, lifting, and typing. May be required to lift up to 35 pounds.
Cincinnati Museum Center and the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, military status, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
APPLY VIA ONLINE WWW.CINCYMUSEUM.ORG/JOBS OR SEND RESUME TO HR@CINCYMUSEUM.ORGAPPLY VIA ONLINE WWW.CINCYMUSEUM.ORG/JOBS OR SEND RESUME TO HR@CINCYMUSEUM.ORG