Experienced Paralegal Advocate
We are hiring a full-time Paralegal Advocate who will work with the Legal Aid Housing and Consumer Teams to help families prevent the loss of housing as a result of eviction, foreclosure, or unsafe housing conditions.
Activities include in person and phone interviews, litigation support, including working with attorneys in State and Federal Court, accurate record keeping, occasional travel to evening or weekend tenant and community meetings, as well as daytime visits to investigate cases and photograph conditions problems.
The Legal Aid Society is a non-profit, public interest law firm. Our mission is to solve serious legal problems of low-income people, to promote economic and family stability, and to reduce poverty through effective legal assistance. Legal Aid attorneys, advocates, and support staff provide direct and impactful assistance to members of our community facing legal crises such as eviction, intimate partner violence, loss of income, immigration problems, foreclosure, education issues and more.
The minimum education requirement is a Bachelor’s degree. Preference will be given for prior experience working with low-income families, and experience as a Legal Assistant or Paralegal. In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- Excellent communication and client-service skills
- Ability to communicate with our client community, including individuals in crisis or experiencing trauma
- Ability to capture information accurately while conducting a telephone or in-person interview
- The ability to understand and apply laws and regulations
- The demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Reliable transportation for travel in seven county service area
- Professional attire (business casual) is required
BENEFITS AND SALARY
The Legal Aid Society offers a competitive salary starting at $22/hour + depending on experience, excellent benefits, generous PTO, and a professional office work environment.
Applicants should submit all three items listed below via email to email@example.com with subject line Experienced Paralegal Hiring Committee – LAS072-23:
- A brief cover letter explaining the reasons for their interest in the position,
- A resume, and
- The contact information for at least two professional references.