Gallery & Creative Projects Manager
ArtWorks, an equal opportunity employer is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.
Job Title: Gallery & Creative Projects Manager
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive employee benefits package includes health insurance including vision and dental, generous paid time off, 401k plan, and investment in career development.
Salary Range: $39,000 - $50,000
Job Type: Full Time Exempt
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: Director Creative Projects
Start date: March 20, 2023
About ArtWorks: Now in its 26th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region with a mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity. ArtWorks co-creates public art with community leaders that builds civic pride and beautifies the region, creating jobs for more than 300 artists annually, including youth ages 14-21, to earn a living wage. The economic empowerment and mentorship that ArtWorks provides leads to upward mobility, which is critically important for youth who come from a majority of underserved households and who are underemployed. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed nearly 4,000 youth and 3,500 creative professionals. The organization has completed more than 14,000 public and private art works of art, including public sculpture, light-based installations and more than 200 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. Now headquartered in Walnut Hills, ArtWorks is part of the burgeoning arts district in Cincinnati’s historic second downtown. Learn more at artworkscincinnati.org.
ArtWorks seeks a Gallery and Creative Projects Manager to manage the ArtWorks V2 Gallery program and a selection of creative projects (public and non-public artworks).
ArtWorks V2 Gallery (70%)
The ArtWorks V² Gallery enables teen and young adult artists to work directly with professional artists as mentors. Through the program, teen and young adult artists study the materials and methods of professional artists to inform the creation of their own unique and individual works of art. Each program session culminates in a cohesive group exhibit with all works for sale and proceeds going directly to the participating artists. The Gallery & Creative Projects Manager collaboratively curates artists for the program, design and install shows, collaborates with the Artist Impact team to create program curriculum, and supports professional artists as they develop their goals and plans for working with young artists.
Creative Projects Manager (30%)
The Gallery & Creative Projects Manager manages projects that result in large scale works of public art. This role collaboratively works within the Impact Team, as well as other departments, to manage projects from design to production, while nurturing and retaining artist relationships and diverse partnerships with community organizations, corporate clients, etc.
- Oversee and implement the ArtWorks V2 Gallery Program through artist curation, exhibitions, recruitment, program curriculum, etc.
- Manage other department specific projects (may include public art and non-public artworks) and initiatives
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Artists, Community Partners, City Administrators, and Vendors
- Lead meetings with stakeholders to guide productive discussion, planning, and resource coordination (may include project presentations, community engagement sessions, and other project-specific demonstrations and events)
- Manage internal workflow process to ensure resources and content are delivered on time and on budget, and according to project needs
- Work directly with other team members and departments to support artist recruitment and hiring, fundraising, and marketing/promotional efforts
- Constructively critique artists’ work to ensure highest quality results
- Administer, track, and report project outcomes and impact measurements
- Support Impact Department through direct captainship of key department initiatives
- Support Organizational priorities, as determined with Creative Projects, Director
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and experiences:
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
- Minimum of BA degree or may consider equivalent job experience
- Demonstrated track-record of successfully installing and deinstalling artwork for gallery exhibitions
- Proven ability to build and produce impactful supplemental materials for gallery exhibitions (wall text, booklets, etc.)
- Experience managing projects with artists
- Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours when needed, especially for gallery opening and closing shows
- Experience collaborating with diverse audience stakeholders
- Driver’s license and reliable transportation means
- Ability to lift and transport loads of 25+ lb. materials (transportation of misc. project materials and equipment)
Skills and abilities:
- Basic understanding of the materials, techniques, and installation methods for fine art in a gallery setting
- Strong design sensibility and familiarity with contemporary art
- Strong project management skills
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with a focus on planning, implementation, and collaboration
- A self-starter with ability to manage time and projects well with some oversite or direction
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with capacity to present to public
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and information management systems
- Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices
- Detail-oriented with an ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- Curious about facts and trends; a continuous learner
- Set priorities, develop work plans and schedules, monitor and report progress
- Comfortable working with community partners, youth, artists and across departments
- Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, solve problems and make decisions that improve team/organizational effectiveness and drive results
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community
- Be part of a dynamic team that embraces a growth mindset
- Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here.