The Lieutenant position functions as a member of the leadership team assisting in critical management decisions, mentoring, and fostering professional development within XUPD. Lieutenants provide direct support to the Assistant Chief of Police and the Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police in the administration and operations of Xavier University Police Department (XUPD).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interprets and enforces state laws, municipal ordinances and University regulations and policies.
- and for the development and implementation of law enforcement training, professional development, assignments, scheduling, reviews work and evaluates performance for those immediately reporting to them within the command structure or as required regarding other shifts.
- Inspection and oversight of the sworn patrol, investigative, and non-sworn support personnel to ensure compliance and consistent application of department policies, procedures and standards.
- Assist as needed in conducting interviewing, hiring, and training of departmental employees.
- Coordinating/command response of all police units at major incidents or emergency situations in the absence of the Assistant Chief of Police or the DPS/Chief of Police.
- Managing equipment, personnel, and training budgets.
- Maintains overtime, sick, and leave for all assigned personnel.
- Assist and participate in department training.
- Maintaining and daily monitoring reviewing and approving Report Executive documentation.
- Conducting internal and confidential investigations.
- Responds to crimes in progress, emergencies, crisis, and determines needs for NIMS or ICS implementation for additional police, fire and EMS personnel.
- Oversees and assists in the patrols of buildings and grounds of Xavier University as duties permit.
- Works collaboratively with administrators, staff, faculty, and students across campus to ensure the delivery of community oriented law enforcement services.
- Directly supervises sergeants, specialists, officers and other department personnel including specifically assigned programs and duties.
- Attends and participates in campus committees, outreach, and other projects as assigned.
- Provides oversight and leadership for Dispatch operations for the respective shift.
- Position requires on-call duty and varied schedule based on responsibilities.
- Provides oversight for the development, maintenance and testing of the various campus safety software and communication tools (Rave, Guardian, etc…).
- Ensure compliance with mandated certifications and training for performance of official duties.
- Completes other duties as assigned by the Assistant Chief or the DPS/Chief of Police.
- 7 years of full-time police officer experience
- High school diploma
- Current OPOTA certification in good standing
- Associate's degree or higher in a related field
- 7 - 10 years full-time police officer experience
Qualified candidates, if selected for offer, will be required to pass a drug screening, a department physical assessment test as well as other University required tests.
Xavier is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. The Department welcomes a broad spectrum of candidates and particularly invites applications from women, ethnic and racial minorities, and other individuals who are under-represented in the workforce. Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To ensure consideration, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website no later than September 1, 2022.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Tax advantaged accounts including health savings account, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care account.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.