Xavier University is part of the 500-year-old Jesuit Catholic tradition of academic excellence in the liberal art and is strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission statement. We strive for a climate of respect and inclusiveness that welcomes and supports members from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, is committed unreservedly to open and free inquiry, and deliberately seeks out multiple perspectives.
Under the general direction of the Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety, Assistant Chief, and Lieutenant(s), Sergeants will exercise supervisory responsibility for various shifts or special programs and assignments. The Sergeant position functions as a member of the leadership team mentoring, and fostering professional development within XUPD.
- Supervises Specialists, Officers and other personnel assigned to shifts or programs.
- Plans, assigns, and reviews work; evaluates performance, recommends disciplinary action. Assists with Clery Compliance, Daily Crime and Fire Log and the Annual Security Report.
- Provides on the job training and various types of instruction for personnel and supervises Field Training Officers assigned to new cadets, officers, or auxiliary officers.
- Participates in selective assignments, promotion, counseling, reviews work, evaluates performances and recommends disciplinary actions for corporals, specialists, officers and dispatchers.
- Participates in policy development, as it pertains to departmental and state mandated training. Schedules, plans and implements departmental training as deemed necessary by the state and Chief of Police/DPS, Assistant Chief, or Lieutenant(s).
- Patrols buildings and grounds, enforces laws, policies, and regulations; issues parking citations, condition reports, and work orders. Responds to crimes in progress, emergencies, crises and determines mutual aid needs for additional police, fire and EMS personnel, assists with Public Relations, NIMS compliance, and unified command, as needed.
- Assists with criminal investigations including completing and approving reports.
- Supervises and coordinates XUPD response to complex crime scenes or other unusual circumstances.
- Inspects vehicles, radios and other equipment, making recommendations for future needs.
- Works closely with the Chief/DPS, Assistant Chief, and Lieutenant(s).
- Establishes and maintains good working relations with department heads, community officials, student leaders and other police agencies and courts.
- Represents the department at weekly/monthly on/off campus meetings as deemed necessary by the Chief of Police/DPS, Assistant Chief of Police, or Lieutenant(s).
- Works closely with the Chief of Police/DPS, Assistant Chief, or Lieutenant(s) and is responsible for other assignments and duties deemed necessary by the Chief/DPS to ensure proper function and mission performance.
- 5 years of full-time police officer experience
- High school diploma
- Current OPOTA certification in good standing
- Associate's degree or higher in a related field
- 5 - 10 years full-time police officer experience
Qualified candidates, if selected for offer, will be required to pass a drug screening, a department physical assessment test as well as other University required tests.
Xavier is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. The Department welcomes a broad spectrum of candidates and particularly invites applications from women, ethnic and racial minorities, and other individuals who are under-represented in the workforce.
To ensure consideration, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website no later than September 1, 2022.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide vaccination status upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Tax advantaged accounts including health savings account, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care account.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.