Vice President of Public Affairs
Title: Vice President of Public Affairs
Location: Ft. Mitchell, KY
NORTHERN KENTUCKY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - COMPANY OVERVIEW
The Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce is Greater Cincinnati's leading business organization that connects businesses to government, education, and nonprofits in order to create and promote a strong business climate. The Chamber's history is full of success stories about people and companies who rose to the occasion and did something important. The Chamber exists to be the voice of the business community. You can make a difference at the Chamber by joining it's team of employees, where even the most visible leaders are accessible.
If you are a self-motivated and team-oriented individual who is passionate about making Northern Kentucky a great place for great businesses, the Chamber is looking for you to join its team. You will be part of a dynamic team whose challenge is providing quality service and guidance to its valued clients. Benefits include a generous PTO plan and medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
The Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce is seeking a Vice President of Public Affairs. The Vice President of Public Affairs has the overall responsibility of strategically leading local, state, and federal advocacy efforts on behalf of the NKY Chamber.
- Lead a team to develop and manage all activities related to government affairs and public policy.
- Drive the process to develop the NKY Chamber’s legislative agendas by engaging with membership to uncover legislative and policy issues that inhibit business/economic growth.
- Engage with community stakeholder and elected officials to align the NKY metro region on key advocacy issues.
- Represent NKY Chamber and NKY Chamber’s membership in the community and during legislative sessions, testify or speak as appropriate.
- Strategically identify mechanisms to ensure NKY Chamber’s legislative priorities are accomplished and lead the team to success.
- Drive the content of NKY Chamber policy and advocacy programming and events; ensuring revenue and sponsorships goals are achieved for events.
- Effectively address member questions regarding public policy.
- Actively participate as a member of the senior management team of NKY Chamber contributing to the positive delivery of outcomes related to strategic goals and objectives.
- In collaboration with the marketing/communication team, ensure talking points and messaging materials align with the advocacy efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to exercise judgment and diplomacy in a wide variety of public contact situations. Ability to work with a variety of constituencies including business leaders, public officials, community representatives, etc.
- Diplomatic, tactful, flexible, resourceful, dependable, well-organized, and professional.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with members and co-workers.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple complex tasks and balance and prioritize multiple assignments with limited supervision.
- Ability to work under the pressure of multiple deadlines and changing task priorities.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people, to embrace and engage diverse groups, and understand the importance of cultural competency in these interactions.
- Ability to be professional to a wide range of constituents.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of effective customer service practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capacity to research and analyze legislative policy, both proposed and actual.
- Bachelor’s degree plus eight (8) years in public policy, communications, or government relations. A combination of education and experience may be substituted when proficiency is demonstrated. Leadership skills are primary; familiarity with federal/state/local government structure and legislative and political process. Experience with grassroots advocacy and lobbying.
- Familiarity with federal/state/local government structure and legislative and political processes.
- Registered, or ability to be registered, as a Kentucky legislative agent.
- Flexibility with work schedule. Must be able to work evenings and travel as required (approximately 15%), especially during Kentucky General Assembly sessions.
- Must have strong attention to detail and excellent organization skills.
- Must be a self-starter, motivated, well-organized, results-oriented, and willing to learn new skills.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
*The Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce recognizes the importance of diversity within our workforce, board structure, and programming. Diversity is at the heart of our mission to grow and connect a diverse network of leaders who can serve as catalysts for sustaining a vibrant Northern Kentucky community.
Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.