Sr Individualized Learning Specialist/Acad Coord
Job no: 501300
Department: Intercollegiate Athletics
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Athletics, Recreation, Student Services, Other
Status: Full Time
Under the supervision of the Director of Student-Athlete Academic Support Services, this position serves as the senior Individualized Learning Specialist and leads the day-to-day implementation of the learning services program within the SAASS unit.
- Oversees the individualized learning services program
- Works with academic coordinators to identify at-risk student-athletes and recommends appropriate support services
- Assesses various academic support needs within the student-athlete body and assigns/schedules resources as necessary
- Trains and supports part-time individualized learning specialists
- Serves as senior individualized learning specialist
- Provides one-on-one support to a caseload of at-risk student-athletes and supports them in pursuing their academic goals
- Works closely with student-athletes and the Miller Center for Student Disability Services to identify learning disabilities
- Designs and implements strategic instructional plans for student-athletes under-prepared for college
- Assists with time management and academic skill building, partnering with academic coordinators and tutors, to provide a holistic approach to academic support and engagement
- Engages in small groups and in individual meetings with implantation of academic plans
- Develops and implements learning interventions and study strategies in the areas of time management, critical thinking, reading, and writing, taking notes, test taking, etc.
- Develops and maintains file resources related to study skills and learning strategies
- Serves as academic coordinator for assigned sports
- Monitors progress in all courses and track degree-completion status
- Provides regular, timely and detailed updates of student-athlete academic status to coaches and administrators
- Works closely with compliance office in projecting and monitoring NCAA academic eligibility for all assigned student-athletes
- Meets with recruits for assigned sports, as requested
- Other relevant expectations
- Ability to execute in a fast-paced environment while independently representing both the University and Athletics
- Understands and operates under SASSS best practices to ensure academic integrity, transparent communication and student-athlete success
- A flexible schedule, including working evenings and weekends is required
- Supports Director as needed with special projects and other duties as assigned
- Abides by all FERPA rules, NCAA and MAC rules and Miami University policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of one-year experience in learning services
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Master’s Degree
- Three years of learning services experience in the collegiate setting
- Experience training and leading learning services staff (e.g., tutors, mentors, learning specialists)
- Academic advising experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and promote an inclusive work environment
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.
Labor Law Posters for Applicants:
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 20 Jan 2023 Eastern Standard Time