2022 REC Artist in Residence Application
Request for Proposals: 2022 Rosenthal Education Center (REC) Artist in Residence
The Cincinnati Art Museum requests proposals from an artist or a team of artists for the 2022 Rosenthal Education Center Artist in Residence. The Rosenthal Education Center Artist in Residence will have the opportunity to create an interactive installation on view in the Rosenthal Education Center from May 7, 2022, until October 30, 2022.
This RFP is open to all artists and artist teams over 18, who currently reside in the Greater Cincinnati/Tri-State region.
Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 5:00 pm EST.
$1,500 artist honorarium
$5,000 includes design, fabrication, engineering, installation.
The Rosenthal Education Center (REC) is a drop-in interactive gallery and maker space in the Cincinnati Art Museum designed to teach families about the museum’s permanent collection through artmaking, hands-on educational stations, and programming. From May through October of each year, the REC features an exhibition of interactive artwork by a local artist and five interactive wall stations highlighting artwork in the museum’s permanent collection selected by the REC Artist in Residence. Art projects developed by the artist and REC staff will be available for visitors to work on in the space or take home. The artist will also be asked to participate in at least three museum educational programs during residency and will also be responsible for all installation upkeep during the exhibition. Past Rosenthal Education Center Artists in Residence include Pam Kravetz, Terence Hammonds, and Christian Schmit.
- The artwork must include interactive elements geared towards children aged 3-12 and withstand touching and hands-on interaction for -six months.
- The artwork must relate to the theme of decorative arts (aka functional artwork such as furniture, ceramics, clockwork, etc.).
- In the proposal, the artist(s) must identify a minimum of one and a maximum of five artworks in the Cincinnati Art Museum collection that served as inspiration for the proposed installation.
- The proposed artwork and installation must be accessible to varying levels of ability and mobility.
- The proposed artwork/installation must encompass a space of roughly 357 square feet. The designated space in the REC is 317 inches wide, 127 inches tall, and about 160 inches deep.
- Artists interested in submitting proposals are strongly encouraged to visit the Rosenthal Education Center to see the space.
|October 1, 2021||RFP Released|
|December 15, 2021, 5:00 pm||Deadline for Submissions (NO EXCEPTIONS)|
|December 15-31, 2021||Review Submissions|
|January 1, 2022||Selected Artist or Artist Team Notified|
|January 1 – May 1, 2022||Creation of Interactive Art Installation for REC|
|January 17, 2022||Written Content (Artist/Artwork Statements) Due|
|May 1-6, 2022||Installation of Interactive Artwork in REC|
|May 7 –October 30, 2022||
REC Artist in Residency Exhibition